Linux Version of Accordance, Please!

Krutledge

I'm a long-time user of accordance with a lot of money poured into some big accordance packages. While I started on Mac, I've moved (long arduous story short) to linux and LOVE it more than anything I've ever used. The only thing I can't do on my linux machine is use accordance. I would never dual boot back to Windows for anything but for accordance. I don't want to have to switch bible software after all the investment and love I have for accordance.

Can you please port a linux version from your similar UNIX Mac version?

This would be so amazing and would solve my problems entirely. I know I'm not alone. Windows and Mac have put enough people off that many of us are turning to the '3rd option' in OS's: Linux. Wine is something of a solution, but I can't get it to make accordance work yet, though I've spent hours on it already. God bless your efforts and any help you can bring to us OS outcasts. Linux is much cheaper than Mac OS, and would make it so I could spend a lot more money on Accordance Bible products!

Thanks!

• Like 6

Also in the competitor forum they yelled for a Linux version. And as I see from my perspective, both negate because of the few users. 

But honestly the one of the two teams which are faster will take the cake here. 

• Like 1

Porting Accordance to Linux is not really made much easier just because of Unix underpinnings of macOS. But ultimately, it comes down to user base. I love Linux myself and would have made it my main platform years ago if Accordance were on it, but I've always understood that there are not enough users or potential users to justify it.

And I realize that for Linux as a platform, this quickly devolves into a chicken or the egg issue--if there were more professional programs on Linux, it might attract more customers; but few companies want to release Linux versions because there aren't enough users there to justify it. 

Realistically, if we were to consider a fifth platform, a web-based version of Accordance would be of much more benefit to our customers than Linux at this point.

• Like 7

Porting Accordance to Linux is not really made much easier just because of Unix underpinnings of macOS. But ultimately, it comes down to user base. I love Linux myself and would have made it my main platform years ago if Accordance were on it, but I've always understood that there are not enough users or potential users to justify it.

And I realize that for Linux as a platform, this quickly devolves into a chicken or the egg issue--if there were more professional programs on Linux, it might attract more customers; but few companies want to release Linux versions because there aren't enough users there to justify it. 

Realistically, if we were to consider a fifth platform, a web-based version of Accordance would be of much more benefit to our customers than Linux at this point.

Web based requires an online connection. I would be far more interested in Linux. 

Note: Porting linux apps to Mac is easier than apple to Linux i.e. once you have something that works on Linux it can be maintained for both platforms. 

Personally I'd rather see more time in Wine to make Accordance Windows run better on Linux. This has the benefit of making other apps work better too.

• Like 1

I would take a web-based version, too! Either would work. I just need a good solution to keep accordance in my life as a now-linux user.

Thanks for all the thought!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Figured I should add my voice to the discussion.  I'm also a Linux user, former Mac user.  I'd be okay with either a native version, or a wine version.  

Actually, I'm also a software developer so I wouldn't mind helping out in some way. 

• 2 weeks later...

In the absence of a native, or Wine-based way to run Accordance, the next best option might be... using a virtual machine.

Search for a github project called "macOS-Simple-KVM" which allows you to run OS X in qemu under Linux.  Of course this will take up significantly more resources than running natively, but it's better than nothing.  

A Windows VM could also be used if you have access to a Windows 7/8/10 image or own a product key.  VirtualBox is a customer friendly product for this, or virt-manager works as a qemu front-end as well.  

• 3 months later...

Realistically, if we were to consider a fifth platform, a web-based version of Accordance would be of much more benefit to our customers than Linux at this point. Whether through native Linux, Wine, or online, we are really hoping for some way to access Accordance in Linux. 

If a web-based version is of most benefit at this point, how realistic is it that we might see a web-based version in the foreseeable future?

I'm adding my vote that something be done to access Accordance via Linux. Whether via native Linux, Wine, or online, we need at least something. If a web-based version is of more benefit than porting Accordance to Linux, how realistic is it that we might see that in the foreseeable future?

Edited by Ken Hall

Well I am unaware of 13, i know 10 was functioning quick satisfactory under wine by some users and some were getting 12 to run if a bit buggy... https://www.accordan...-wine/?hl=linux

While I know it cannot be the primary goal of the programers it would be nice if there were a way they could help ensure that it could be more WINE compatible. (I know might as well ask for full feature parity on iOS while I am at it).

-dan

If a web-based version is of more benefit than porting Accordance to Linux, how realistic is it that we might see that in the foreseeable future?

I would stay it's realistic.

• Like 4

I would stay it's realistic.

Ah, will this be the answer to having 'full accordance' on iPad Pro? That would be excellent - I had changed my plans to buy a 2021 MacBook Pro rather than a 2021 iPad Pro just because I so want the desktop version of Accordance (or closer to it than the iOS app)

Unfortunately, web is not an alternative to a native experience on an iPad Pro (or Linux).  It's just not.  It's a horrible facsimile with a poor user experience — particularly on a heavily interactive application like Accordance.  It's a stop gap measure, but not one I would want to use on a daily basis.  I realize this conversation is about Linux not iPad Pro, but I just wanted to express that a web variant is never going to compare to a native app (and this is coming from someone who has developed web and native apps for 30 years).

We would wholeheartedly agree that native apps superior to a web experience. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I too am a long-time Accordance user and a Mac turned Linux user.  I got a competitor application that I have to work using Wine, but still can't get Accordance.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

+1 for a native Linux version.  I've been using Accordance on the Mac since about 2003.  Accordance is actually the reason I bought a Mac.  But about two weeks ago I loaded Linux Mint on a rather old Mac and of course it's much faster than running MacOS.  So I'm now planning to move from Mac to Linux over the next year or so or whenever my newest Mac (2015) is no longer serviceable and I'm hoping that Accordance will produce a native Linux version.

• Like 1

Kudos on making the switch to Linux. Apple's notary requirements essentially remove the "personal" in personal computer. We're going to slowly change to Linux over time for this reason.

I imagine that Accordance web will be ready by then, but if not, I expect Wine or an Android emulator to be able to run a reasonably current version of Accordance.

Software freedom isn't free, but it is worth it. I fully expect the deplatforming trend to eventually encompass Bible software and/or modules.

• Like 2

Accordance works quite poorly under Wine. It's not a workable solution. As to Android, Accordance is an abundantly feature-rich software. The Android version of Accordance is an early work, containing a small subset of the capabilities. As a software of its own, it has its place, but will really never be close to the Windows or Mac version. At the moment, Linux and Accordance are not a workable option. I think that goes for pretty much everyone. A Web version of Accordance may solve that, but the Web version of <other software> sure isn't up to the Windows version of that software either. 

• Like 2

the Web version of <other software> sure isn't up to the Windows version of that software either. 

This is curious, as the other software uses Chromium to render it's UI on the "desktop" version.

That is to say, the other software is completely web based, whether its in a web browser or not.

This is curious, as the other software uses Chromium to render it's UI on the "desktop" version.

That is to say, the other software is completely web based, whether its in a web browser or not.

Earlier they used the Internet Explorer (6?) for rendering, and fell on the mouth as Microsoft stopped the support. Thats why Libronix SESB is dead now.

Edited by Fabian

If you try it, I think you might agree the experience is difference as is the feature-set. Much is the same, and in a pinch it works fine, but the feature set is either different, or hidden in different places from the Desktop version. Maybe I would just need to spend more time hunting around. 

• 4 weeks later...

I just read on another Bible software forum, CodeWeavers have brought BW 10 to the Apple M1 chip. 

The key is, one user stayed in contact with CodeWeavers and not trying and give at the same minute up as it didn't worked. If you wanna Accordance on Linux you have to go in contact with the developers. https://www.codeweavers.com/compatibility/submit

Fabian 

Edited by Fabian
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...

A web based version versus a mobile app would allow any device to access Accordance without dependence on the App Store. It would also bypass the need to write separate code for each OS 

20 hours ago, Markster said:

A web based version versus a mobile app would allow any device to access Accordance without dependence on the App Store. It would also bypass the need to write separate code for each OS 

No, it doesn't (bypass the need).  Web apps are lowest common denominator that never come close to the user experience of a native app.  Any company who cares about their customers writes "separate code for each OS".  Suggesting web as a replacement is the quickest way to get your users to switch to the competitor (and I have done that every time it happens).  Web certainly has value and allows for access in places where native isn't easily provided (shared computers, linux, etc) — but is never a replacement for native.

• Like 1