Best way to search English content

Eect

Good morning,

As I was reading through the book of John a while back ago I copied a few notes onto One-note from some of my Accordance modules and failed to jot down the source. I open a research window and select all from the drop down menu left of the search bar (to include all my modules within the search) I choose English from the drop down within the search bar and I proceed to type  a whole sentence or partial sentence from my notes in an effort to find what module I got them from but have had no luck, I keep getting pop-up saying "These words were not found..". I also tested the above by grabbing a sentence within an open module and searching for that sentence and the same pop-up came up.. even though I was looking straight at the module from where I got the sentence.. this leads me to believe that I'm not doing something right. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!

I proceed to type  a whole sentence or partial sentence from my notes in an effort to find what module I got them from but have had no luck

I'd make sure that you have the option set to "Searches are Exact searches" (see attached).  If your quote from your notes is precisely what exists in the module, then you should find it, except punctuation can become tricky, since Accordance won't want you to have commas, apostrophes, quotes, etc.

What I usually do is use the "WITHIN" command instead of trying to copy and paste an exact quote (although I occasionally do that also).  Try this: let's say the sentence you are looking for is "King Herod, that evil king, killed all the infants under two years old."

I would search for this: Herod <WITHIN 15 Words> killed <WITHIN 15 Words> infants <WITHIN 15 Words> two

I know that make seem a little "rough" or "antiquated," and you may get a few results, but that usually gets me where I want to go the fastest.

Until further search enhancements arrive for the Research Tab (like my repeated request to be able to cross-search a Scripture verse together with English text, and also my request to be able to use "All English" with "AND" and "WITHIN" functions, this type of "rough" / "antiquated" searching usually works for me.

Hope this helps a little.

post-35231-0-74015000-1578039953_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Thanks TYA that did the trick!!

• Like 1