import user tool filename problem

mhanel

I tried to import a user tool from a plain text file called "29.4.H.10.txt" and every single time after selecting the file, Accordance would end the import user tool process. That is, nothing would happen. It would simply return to the normal workspace zone I was at as if I hadn't just asked it to import a user tool. It will not bring up the prompt which is the normal next step asking me what I want to name the user tool.

I renamed the plain text file to "a.txt" and the import process completed as normal.

So unless I'm mistaken, Accordance doesn't accept the file name of the original file and it causes a hiccup. However, there is no error prompt indicating such.

• Like 1

New hypothesis: I played around with this more. I think there's a different problem. If I have the file I want to import open in MS Word while I select the file to import the user tool, then the import tool process will not continue. This is true regardless of the file name.

Can anyone else verify that? Import a plain text file to a user tool while the same plain text file is open in Word. I tried it with the file open in Notepad and it did import as normal, but with Word, it would not.

It is usually a bad idea to have the same file open in multiple programs.  I'll test.  To confirm, you were editing the file "29.4.H.10.txt" in MS Word?

It is usually a bad idea to have the same file open in multiple programs.  I'll test.  To confirm, you were editing the file "29.4.H.10.txt" in MS Word?

Correct. It was originally .rtf, saved it as plaintext in Word and the first time I ran the user import function, I still had that file open. That's when I thought it was a file name issue. I had to close the Word process in order to rename the .txt file, so the second time when I tried to import the file and it worked, I thought it was because of the filename, but then ran into the problem again and realized both times the import process stopped was because the file was open in Word.

• Like 1