names on map not showing in list

Kristin

I am not sure if this is a bug, technical issue, or user error, but I am having difficulty adding the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah to my Custom Site Layers.

If I use the magnifying search box and look for "Sodom" or "Gomorrah," they both appear on the map in red without a problem. However, if I then go to the Custom Site Layers and search for them to add them to my list, neither city is showing.

I will attach a screenshot which should clarify the difficulty I am having.

Thank you for any help you are able to provide.

Sincerely,

Kristin

post-35522-0-96418500-1573018478_thumb.png

The issue here, Kristin, is that Sodom and Gomorrah are considered regions, not sites.  This can be seen if you pick the region layer 'Sodom & Gomorrah'.  For what purpose are you trying to add them to a Custom Site Layer?  Perhaps you could instead make a custom region layer containing their information?

Hi Joel,
Thank you for clarifying. Concerning your question why I was trying to do this, I am currently teaching the book of Luke and as I am going through the book I am showing on a map where various locations are. In Lk 10:12-14 several locations are all mentioned. Specifically, Sodom, Chorazin, Bethsaida, Tyre, Sidon, and Capernaum. I thus made a custom site so that I could place a pin next to all the locations which occur in this block of text, but I had run into an issue with a pin for Sodom. (I had been hunting for Gomorrah as well because of Mt 10:15.)

I am sort of nervous to say this since I feel like I am missing something obvious, but I thought Sodom was a city? BDAG states, “Sodom, the city that was destroyed by God...”. Likewise, for Gomorrah BDAG states, “Gomorrah, name of a ruined city that lay in a depression now occupied by the Dead Sea...”

So I may very well be not understanding something obvious, but it seems like Sodom and Gomorrah were both cities and not just general regions?

Thank you for any clarity you are able to provide.
Sincerely,
Kristin

There is no scholarly consensus at present as to where these cities were. That may be changing with recent excavations, but it is the reason that we made them regions, we just couldn't pinpoint them when the Atlas was created.

There is no scholarly consensus at present as to where these cities were. That may be changing with recent excavations, but it is the reason that we made them regions, we just couldn't pinpoint them when the Atlas was created.

Hi Helen,

That makes sense, and thank you for your clarification. I will just use the region layer with my custom sites for my Luke study.

Take care,

Kristin