PDF Import Stuck in Accordance 13

Cnthetford

PDF Import is one of my most anticipated features for the new release so as soon as I upgraded I decided to give it a try.  I started the import of a PDF file with about 140 pages of text (relatively few pictures) about 2 hours ago and the progress bar is stuck at about 5% and hasn't moved.   I guess I'll let it run overnight and see if it eventually makes progress but is PDF import supposed to be unusually slow?

• Like 1

I've been far less patient than you. I've tried it with a couple of PDFs, both stalled like yours and I gave up.

• Like 1

I hate to be the one to say this, but Accordance 13 for Windows is far from ready. It shouldn’t have been released. Many things that used to work on version 12 are not working anymore in version 13.

I hope the fixes don’t take too long. As far as I know, for now, version 13 is just an e-reader for books without the functionalities I use on a weekly basis.

Please see my post here.

Got it

Please see my post here.

The particular PDF I am using is copyright material so I can't upload it here but if you need me to send it, let me know.  It started its life as an ebook file (.mobi or .epub or some such thing) and then was converted to PDF using Calibre.

• Like 1

I've messaged you guys with my email address.  If anyone else has problems with PDF import but doesn't feel comfortable sharing the PDF publicly, you can send me a dropbox link via PM and I will look into the problem.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've messaged you guys with my email address.  If anyone else has problems with PDF import but doesn't feel comfortable sharing the PDF publicly, you can send me a dropbox link via PM and I will look into the problem.

I was wondering if there is any update on this issue?  I understand that it may take a while to get a patch ready for release, but are there any work-arounds?   For example are there certain characteristics of the files I sent that are keeping them from loading properly?   I don't mind doing a little extra work to prep the files for import as long as I know what to do?

• Like 1

I thought yours was one of the ones I'd gotten working.  Let me double check.

EDIT:  The one you sent me was "Lifelong Zeal" by Phillip Shumake, right?  I've just double checked and this imported fine for me on Windows with Accordance 13.0.2.  It did take longer than usual, but it seemed ok after import.  Are you certain you are still experiencing the stall in v13.0.2?

Edited by Silas Marrs

I was still on 13.0.0.  I guess I need to be checking for updates more often!  Anyway after updating, it imported (and took <10 sec on my computer).

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Accordance Team: please get Silas some additional help.  You guys are all wonderful, but I share the same frustrations as Diatheke76 (above).  For not seeing some of the features that I really really think Accordance needs (and you yourselves have acknowledged have been requested--some for years now--I relate to his comment below.

PDF Import is one of my most anticipated features for the new release

Well, technically, I had no anticipation of it, but once I knew it was coming it was going to "soothe some pains" of mine regarding other issues in Accordance.  And understanding what it is supposed to do, I'm really excited and grateful for it.

But I have now reported about seven unique issues related to PDF import (and most apply to HTML import too--none of these redundant mentions) which to a large degree make the feature totally useless to me.  I feel like I've wasted many hours trying to get it to work, and I'm not exaggerating when I say that it seems like I'm getting blocked from using it effectively at every turn.

I know that Accordance is top notch, so I know you'll come through, but I just hope it won't take months (or please no: years) to get through all these issues.  Might it be a good idea to get Silas some additional help?  Thank you.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1