Error when trying to update imported HTML User Tool

TYA

Great day all.  I receive this error when trying to update an HTML User Tool, which I imported.  The error seems to not like something about the font in a title, but I'm not the one that created the title.  Accordance is.

Thank you.

post-35231-0-75345600-1572757955_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Still waiting on a response to this, but on a slightly different (yet related) note, I don't like that when I'm trying to make an edit, the moment I press a key (which then opens the tool editor), I'm now moved completely far away from where I was trying to make an edit.

This has now been my experience consistently in 13 (again, never made User Tools before 13), and that is totally unacceptable.  Is anyone else having this problem?  Again, I'm first viewing my User Tool, and I notice a spelling mistake.  I put my cursor there to remedy it, and when the editor opens, I'm now nowhere near what I was just looking at.

It’s Sunday. You may have to wait until Monday for a response. Accordance doesn’t really have 24/7 tech support and the update is new, so nobody really knows a solution to most current technical issues.

Now there is a third issue to include in this post regarding problems with editing imported User Tools.  Just for clarity though, I will repeat the first two issues here again.  In fact, here are the issues I'm encountering when trying to specifically edit a User Tool that I imported.

#1) When trying to make a simple spelling change to a word, and then save / update the User Tool, and error said, "The title line in the User Tool "Jewish Exegesis" must use a Roman font and cannot be a scripture reference."  Again, I simply imported the document to begin with, so I shouldn't be stopped or faulted now when trying to edit it.  Please get rid of this message so I'm not blocked from editing.

#2) The moment I press a key in the User Tool (which then opens the tool editor so I can edit it), I'm now moved completely far away from where I was trying to make an edit.  In further testing, this happens about 50% of the time.  Of course, this is a problem / bug.  I should be exactly where I placed my cursor, not pages away.

#3) I just now tried editing a spelling error in another imported (HTML) User Tool, and received this error: "When the article hierarchy number is greater than the previous number, then it must increase contiguously from the previous number."

Please Accordance: it's not bad enough that the quality is currently very poor on PDF & HTML imports, as others and I have mentioned.  But now, I can't even begin to make changes to fix errors.

(And of course, I'm plagued by extreme lag when I try to do anything with Notes or User Tools; but to be fair, that was reported elsewhere).

Edited by TYA

Also, is there a file size limit for importing PDF or HTML?  I was able to import a 60MB pdf, but after OCR'ing, and then converting it to HTML, it was about the same exact size, yet wouldn't import.

#2) The moment I press a key in the User Tool (which then opens the tool editor so I can edit it), I'm now moved completely far away from where I was trying to make an edit.  In further testing, this happens about 50% of the time.  Of course, this is a problem / bug.  I should be exactly where I placed my cursor, not pages away.

Have you made sure to put your mouse cursor in the place where you want to edit first and then open the user tool editor?

Yes.

Hello TYA

1. Use only MacOS Roman for Titles, no other is allowed. Other here is Hebrew. Sometimes the first import oversees this, but you can then not press save again without any error message and denied to save.

2. I simply select some part of the User Tool where I want to edit. Mr. Hanel was faster. I typed this as his answer appears above.

3. You cannot jump in the User Tool from the hierarchy from <H1> to <H3> without going over <H2>

And yes the User Tools are still very limited. No Footnotes etc. I was hoping with V. 13 Accordance lays hand on this and many other features I requested for years. But instead they going deeper, they decided to create another half backed Tool, PDF import, which I don't think is necessary, as I prefer to import it in Word (which is now also available) or copy paste to Word and do the edit there. So I have it also as Word file which I can use in different ways. And not be chained to Accordance. 

But there is also a hierarchy bug by import in User Tools. https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/26501-user-tool-headings/

Greetings 

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

1. Use only MacOS Roman for Titles, no other is allowed.

Thanks, but let me say it again: I imported these documents into Accordance via HTML or PDF.  I didn't create the titles myself.  Accordance created the titles.  So I have no control over what Accordance does when it imports the document.  There is no user error here.  The problem is with Accordance, and it is keeping me from making any edit to the User Tool.

2. I simply select some part of the User Tool where I want to edit. Mr. Hanel was faster.

Again, I know how to edit a User Tool and Notes.  I place the cursor where I want to make the edit, and I press a key.  So this isn't user error on my part.  It is an error on Accordance part, and it needs to be fixed.  (Please, fix Accordance; and if you need more information or testing on my end, just let me know.).

3. You cannot jump in the User Tool from the hierarchy from <H1> to <H3> without going over <H2>

See response to #1 above.  The exact same principle applies to this error.

I do appreciate the help, gentlemen, as always.  However, I appeal to Accordance's staff: I see that many people are viewing this post, but I haven't gotten any official response yet (either publicly or private).  I'm curious to know what the intent is, so that I know what the prospects are going forward for successful use of these tools, and whether I should invest significant time trying to add content or not.

Edited by TYA

Hello TYA

I know and experienced your problems too. An absolut solution I don't have. And yes the User Tools need to be upgraded and fixed some bugs. In this area nearly all other Bible software are far ahead. Accordance is here not only a little bit lacking, they are really behind, but I would anyway first love to see if unicode is full supported otherwise the next lack is in front. 

But I can give you some advice from my experience. 

1. Make headings as your content is in Word. If you have it as HTML then use the <h1> etc. Accordance set by itself headings (and delete the 1. character as you can see in a bug report from me) if the portion is too big. 

1.1 As a workaround you can set a heading before the Accordance created one in the User Tools and save it then you should be able (with some trials, a little bit annoying habit here) to edit the heading which Accordance has set. 

Greetings

Fabian

Thank you, Fabian.  Always helpful.

Yet another (new variety) of error which prevents me from making a simple edit to an imported (PDF import) User Tool.

In this screenshot, I was merely correcting the spelling of an English word which had absolutely nothing to do with the verse reference shown in the error message.  In other words, the error message is completely and totally random, and means nothing to me at all.  It just prevents me from making any edit whatsoever to my already-jumbled user tool.

Any chance I can get a reply on some of this post, seeing that it has now been a couple weeks without a single word from Accordance.  Are these issues going to be fixed?

post-35231-0-44839300-1573461057_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

Hello TYA

I found out Accordance import often texts in User Tool even if they are not error free in the eyes of Accordance. Thats great otherwise the imports often would fail and we don't have a clue why. Unfortunately if the user then makes any changes and want to save, Accordance complains. 

It seems this is whats going on in your case. Even the changes you made have nothing to do with the error message, you have to check of the error. 

Accordance and user content, thats a open chapter. I struggle with this since I have Accordance. I could write the whole day from my experience and how or how not Accordance has react. 

Greetings

Fabian

Thanks Fabian for the insightful and sympathetic comment.  You are always helpful.

However, for Accordance staff to read this: saying that I now have to go find and fix the errors in completely untenable.  Anyone in their right mind knows that what I've said here amounts to a completely unusable tool.  It is completely and totally illegitimate to say "We'll let you import it," but it will be mangled and distorted, and you can't do anything to fix it.

I could understand if Accordance imported it exactly the way it was, without messing it up.  Then, any so-called errors (which, all of these I've posted above aren't even "errors" on my part), I could at least fix them in the original document outside of Accordance, and then re-import it, knowing that it would look exactly like I prepared it.

But Accordance: if you are saying 1) We will mangle and distort your document when you import it (which is true now); 2) You cannot edit it at all (which is true now, as I've shown three separate times); and 3) a whole host of other more nuanced issues (that I've now spent a ton of time posting about... then the feature simply doesn't work.

I waited a long, exasperated, frustrated time for v.13 to come out, and with one of the major new features essentially not working at all, I am very very disappointed.  I could say so much more, and I'm restraining a great deal of frustration.

Accordance, please respond either publicly or privately.  I know you're busy.  If I'm the only one having these issues, and the problem is only with me, then I will gladly, gladly, gladly buy another computer.  But if this isn't the case, I want to know what is going on.  But I don't accept Fabian's prognosis that "Accordance lets you upload it, and then you have to go and fix all the errors."  Are you serious!

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1