Greek search problem

Donald Cobb

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out a way to look at sentences with asyndeton, i.e., that do not have δέ, οὖν, γάρ, etc., in second (or third, or forth) position. Can this be done? Looking at the user manual and older posts, I can see a number of commands that could be useful (FIELD, NOT, WITHIN...), but I can't figure how they could be put together for this. I don't have the syntax module, so I'm trying to do it with the command line or the construct search.

Thanks for any help you can give! 

Thanks Daniel, that's a great beginning! To go a little further, I now have to weed out the sentence structures that begin with καί, διό, etc. I imagine the best way to do that would be to use the results of the first search and apply that second criterion...

The simplest way is to exclude them in the first LEX element I think. You can cut and paste the list of words from the INTER to an @-() list:

post-32023-0-72292600-1572529317_thumb.jpg

Thx

D

The simplest way is to exclude them in the first LEX element I think. You can cut and paste the list of words from the INTER to an @-() list:

attachicon.gifsc.jpg

Thx

D

Not sure I follow this time, Daniel. Let me be more specific. I'm looking for examples in which a clause with asyndeton opens a paragraph, e.g., Mt 5:13, Υμεῖς ἐστε τὸ ἅλας τῆς γῆς· ἐὰν δὲ τὸ ἅλας μωρανθῇ.

With the first query, I can eliminate the usual Εἰ δὲ σὺ Ἰουδαῖος ἐπονομάζῃ καὶ ἐπαναπαύῃ νόμῳ (Rom. 2,17), etc. (BTW, I'm searching first of all in the pauline corpus). But it leaves verses like Διὸ ἀναπολόγητος εἶ, ὦ ἄνθρωπε πᾶς ὁ κρίνων· (Rom. 2,1). So I'm wondering if the best way is not to make a first query and then use that as a selection of texts on which to do a second one, excluding sentences beginning with καί, διό, etc.

Having said that, I'm also having trouble setting up that search (who was the one who wrote, "I pity the fool who cannot make a simple construct search"?)  :(

You could do it in two steps but I don't think that is necessary. Have a look at the modified search below. I added διο to the list of words to exclude. The way this works is that it says in PLACE 1 the LEX may be anything but those in the list following the @-. In this case I have *@-(διο,δε,ουν,και,γαρ,τοτε) which means it can be any lex at all except διο,δε,ουν,και,γαρ,τοτε. Then the rest of the query is as before.

post-32023-0-96930300-1572530767_thumb.jpg

This excludes Rom 2:1.

Thx

D

• Like 1

You could do it in two steps but I don't think that is necessary. Have a look at the modified search below. I added διο to the list of words to exclude. The way this works is that it says in PLACE 1 the LEX may be anything but those in the list following the @-. In this case I have *@-(διο,δε,ουν,και,γαρ,τοτε) which means it can be any lex at all except διο,δε,ουν,και,γαρ,τοτε. Then the rest of the query is as before.

attachicon.gifsc.jpg

This excludes Rom 2:1.

Thx

D

Ok, got it. I think that gets me close to where I want to be. Very, very helpful. Many thanks Daniel!