Anyone using the new Surface Pro X?

R. Mansfield

Hi Rick,

I'm returning to Windows for several Apps, so I've been researching a bunch of Windows tablets and 2-in-1s. Microsoft says the SQ1 chip on the Surface Pro X won't run 64 bit Apps that haven't been ported to ARM 64.

I do wonder, though, if Accordance did this, would it be easy to adapt Accordance ARM 64 to Samsung Linux on DEX, or, to iPadOS on A12/13 ARM based/compatible chips?

Regards,

Michel

Accordance for Windows, even Accordance 13, is 32-bit, so it should run fine on the Surface Pro X. I'm interested to know how it will perform on the SQ1 chip. Last year, I bought the extremely low-end Surface Go, hoping to make it my travel and seminar device. Accordance worked well on it with the exception of the 3D feature in the Atlas, so I sold it. I'd be more hopeful for the Surface Pro X, but it might be worth waiting for the second generation.

As for porting to other platforms, the issue becomes then having to support those other platforms, which may only have a very small number of users. Fortunately, I don't make those decisions :-)

I didn't check whether the Windows version was 32 or 64 bit, I just assumed that it was the same as the Mac version, which I thought was 64 bit in version 12.  Anyways, that is good to know. 64 bit ARM chips run 32 bit Apps with an emulator, so I too would be interested in knowing whether this slowed down Accordance or not. Good question, and glad to be corrected.

Accordance 12 on Mac has been 64-bit since 2017 in anticipation of macOS requiring all 64-bit apps in Catalina. It has not been as big of an issue in Windows.

I wouldn't think that slows down Accordance by very many milliseconds compared to if the CPU would be 32-bit only. The benefit of the 64-bit chip is access to more RAM - which is very beneficial when multitasking and browsing the web. I'm glad Accordance Windows continues to be 32-bit, it makes it slightly faster (since processing equivalent 32-bit code is faster) and doesn't make any of the functionality worse at all nor is it a limit in any way. 32-bit apps also consume about 10-15% less RAM than 64-bit apps. I have personally tested some softwares on both 32-bit computers and 64-bit computers, hence my knowledge as well as that I knew this from programming and from repairs in computer workshops and the installing of very old softwares on legacy hardware and under older OS:s or 32-bit version OS:s:

64 bit ARM chips run 32 bit Apps with an emulator, so I too would be interested in knowing whether this slowed down Accordance or not.