Running Accordance 9 on a PowerBook G4

Dr. Nathan Parker

It'll be a bit before I have a chance to show off screenshots, but I recently dug out my old 12" PowerBook G4 from 2006 running Leopard, dusted it off, and pressed the power button. It booted up!

I managed to install Accordance 9 (the last build for PowerPC Macs) on there, and I am slowly copying over modules that are supported (using a USB flash drive since it's faster than Easy Install).

I'm surprised at the amount of content I can run on Accordance 9 on my PowerBook. While some of the new stuff I have to run on my newer machines, I can put together a very decent Bible study library on it.

Accordance also searches the Bible super fast, almost as fast as my iMac Pro, and this is on a machine with a blazing-fast 1.5 GHZ single-core PowerPC G4 and a roomy amount of 1.25GB RAM (the max it can hold).

I also managed to find a modern fork of FireFox ESR for it (TenFourFox), beefed up the firewall a little, and threw iWork 09 on it. I need to throw iLife 09 and MS Office 2008 on it, plus back it up with Time Machine using a Firewire 400 drive.

So far it's run decently enough to make it into a nice little study machine for Accordance, plus with the 1024x768 resolution, it'd work well with a projector if I needed to teach with Accordance.

It's also been fun taking a stroll down memory lane and using Accordance 9. Accordance still runs well on it, even for such an old machine!

• Like 3