Creating a reading pile in Accordance

Michael Hunt

As I purchase more books in Accordance (in part due to Oak Tree's growing range of titles and in part because I now have most of my Bible study tools in Accordance) I am finding that my past purchases are being lost in the virtual forest of trees so to speak.

Back in the day when I purchased most of my books in dead tree format I would inevitably end up with one or two reading piles on my desk/by my bed that would act as a reminder of titles that I wanted to read. I actually found this approach resulted in me reading through more far titles than I do today what with the vast distraction that the interwebs is.

So I have been thinking about ways I can recreate my reading pile in Accordance and on the desktop the best that I could come up with is a user group called "My Reading Pile". Unfortunately user groups aren't implemented on mobile (yet?) and this is where I tend to do most of this kind of reading. The point of this post is to find out what others are doing in this regard to see if those implementations might work for me.

Maybe you could create a User Tool in the desktop version with Location URLs to the titles, listed in the order you want to read them. Sync that document to your mobile device (right now only iOS but will eventually be on Android).

• Like 1

Maybe you could create a User Tool in the desktop version with Location URLs to the titles, listed in the order you want to read them. Sync that document to your mobile device (right now only iOS but will eventually be on Android).

That was my other thought and adds the bonus of being able to add articles from a dictionary, an essay from a collection or a single commentary from a series. It's a bit fiddly than just the quick add to a user group.

My other thought was to use bookmarks but again is a bit fiddly.

I wonder if there might be any new features in 13 that might tease me into holding off for awhile .....

Micheal, the most obvious step for me was to create a 'Reading List' folder in my library. When I buy a book in Accordance it goes straight in there.  After I read it, I merely drag into its proper folder.  

post-5536-0-72204200-1570511639_thumb.png

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn
  • Like 1

Micheal, the most obvious step for me was to create a 'Reading List' folder in my library. When I buy a book in Accordance it goes straight in there.  After I read it, I merely drag into its proper folder.  

I was thinking of doing something like that but then some of the titles are tools that I would like to have in their respective folders for comparison.

• Like 1

Fair play, I face the same issue. I tend to only keep general writing and devotional material in the list.  The larger tools sit much better  in their own categories.

My current try at a reading pile shows the tendency to be quite an eclectic mix.

post-33308-0-76488000-1570515397_thumb.png

The fact is that what does bring a title to my attention is when it pops up in a search and I note to myself "I could well do with reading more of that".

• Like 1

An excellent reading list might I say... and not a million miles from my own. 

Actually, going back to the original post.  It made think how convenient it would be to have have such a list where the modules can stay in their intended folders, but that we create an alias (shortcut) so that it looks just like the original module to put into a reading list or equivalent.  There are times when I wish could place a module in two different categories, this would do the trick.

• Like 3

Actually, going back to the original post.  It made think how convenient it would be to have have such a list where the modules can stay in their intended folders, but that we create an alias (shortcut) so that it looks just like the original module to put into a reading list or equivalent.

This is a great idea!  An enthusiastic +1.

• Like 1

This is a great idea!  An enthusiastic +1.

Also agreed. I'll always be browsing a handful of books, and an Accordance virtual bookshelf/reading list would be great, along with a way to keep bookmarks, note progress, and make notes.

They could make it a separate program or app that reads the Accordance data files but keeps its preferences separate from the core Accordance program.

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 1