Import Bible Error

LordByron

I'm really having some trouble with the import Bible text function.  The text itself is in Estonian which uses the Latin alphabet with four special letters (õ, ö, ä, ü).  I figured out that I need to encode the text file to UTF-8. 

Initially it worked just fine, but when I tried to re-import the text to update it, I was unable to do so.  I tried deleting the text to just reload it without replacing it, but it gives the error message attached below.

Can anyone help?post-35786-0-26701900-1570035621_thumb.png

Edited by LordByron

Hello 

Are you sure you need Utf-8? I can use this characters with MacOS Roman.

Can you copy paste the 3 first lines to here. So I can try?

I've copied a part from https://newchristianbiblestudy.org/bible/estonian/genesis/saved as MacOS Roman and the result are good.

post-32723-0-37516600-1570039144_thumb.png

Greetings

Fabian

Here it is: 

Gen 1:1 Alguses lõi Jumal taeva ja maa.
Gen 1:2 Maa oli tühi ja paljas ja pimedus oli sügavuse peal ja Jumala Vaim hõljus vete kohal.
Gen 1:3 Ja Jumal ütles: «Saagu valgus!» Ja valgus sai.

When I import it without Utf-8, it scrambles the unique letters.  I'm using a PC.

post-32723-0-02556400-1570042833_thumb.png

Do you use https://notepad-plus-plus.org for editing your Bible? Try here the "Western MacOS Roman" encoding. Make first a second file to test. 

Even if you are on PC the "Western MacOS Roman" encoding should be able to select and edit in Notepad++.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

I'm not sure why it works now, but it works!  My best guess it that when I encoded it back to ANSI, saved it as a separate file, and then encoded it back to Utf-8 as another separate file, it somehow cleared up the problem.  I also deleted the imported text from Accordance and from the library menu before importing again.

Nothing that I tried with Notepad++ seemed to be helping.  I was not able to actually create any .txt files using that program, and Accordance requires a .txt file for the imported Bible text.  I will readily admit, though, that this is all a bit over my head!

Thank you, Fabian, for trying to help!

LordByron

Can anyone help?post-35786-0-26701900-1570035621_thumb.p

Back when I was using v. 12.3 or 12.4, I ran into similar problems.  Your screenshot means that your file has a BOM (byte order mark) created at the beginning of the file.  This can happen automatically when encoding the .txt file in UTF-8.  Apparently, this was (or may still be?) a problem for Accordance.

The solution is, as you apparently stumbled onto, to open the file in Notepad++, and then to encode the file as "UTF-8 without BOM."  That removes the byte order mark, and allows Accordance to import the file.

At least, this is what I had to do with multiple Hebrew / Aramaic modules, and it got me around the problem.  I think, however, that the problem with the BOM was originally tied to a bug in Accordance back in 12.3 and 12.4, and if I'm not mistaken, some work was done to fix the bug.  But... if you still run into that same error, try opening the file in Notepad++ and simply encode as "UTF-8 without BOM."

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Back when I was using v. 12.3 or 12.4, I ran into similar problems.  Your screenshot means that your file has a BOM (byte order mark) created at the beginning of the file.  This can happen automatically when encoding the .txt file in UTF-8.  Apparently, this was (or may still be?) a problem for Accordance.

The solution is, as you apparently stumbled onto, to open the file in Notepad++, and then to encode the file as "UTF-8 without BOM."  That removes the byte order mark, and allows Accordance to import the file.

At least, this is what I had to do with multiple Hebrew / Aramaic modules, and it got me around the problem.  I think, however, that the problem with the BOM was originally tied to a bug in Accordance back in 12.3 and 12.4, and if I'm not mistaken, some work was done to fix the bug.  But... if you still run into that same error, try opening the file in Notepad++ and simply encode as "UTF-8 without BOM."

Thanks for the info because I'm pretty sure I'll run into this problem again when I update the text.

LordByron

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Just as I thought, I am having trouble with this again.  This time it gives the following error message:

"The word "Alguses" in Genesis 1:1 is somehow corrupting the building of this Bible text.

It should be modified before proceeding further."Bible text corrupted.pdf

"Alguses" is simple the first word in this Bible text.  If I delete it or change it, then I just picks whatever the new first word of the text is.  Can anyone help me solve this?

Edited by LordByron

Just as I thought, I am having trouble with this again.  This time it gives the following error message:

"The word "Alguses" in Genesis 1:1 is somehow corrupting the building of this Bible text.

It should be modified before proceeding further."attachicon.gifBible text corrupted.pdf

"Alguses" is simple the first word in this Bible text.  If I delete it or change it, then I just picks whatever the new first word of the text is.  Can anyone help me solve this?

Accordance 13.0.2 doesn't support unicode. We all have to wait for the next release.

But have you tried to convert it to MacOS Roman? 

Accordance 13.0.2 doesn't support unicode. We all have to wait for the next release.

But have you tried to convert it to MacOS Roman? 

I haven't.  How would I do that?

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2019-10-02 um 21.06.07.png

Do you use https://notepad-plus-plus.org for editing your Bible? Try here the "Western MacOS Roman" encoding. Make first a second file to test. 

Even if you are on PC the "Western MacOS Roman" encoding should be able to select and edit in Notepad++.

Greetings

Fabian

I described it here. On Mac I use another app. The image is also different but the process is the same.

Open it in notepad++ and then change the utf-8 to MacOS Roman. And save it.

post-32723-0-81940400-1578493260_thumb.png

If you use the Estonian Bible from the Unbound Bible then it is not possible without stripping the "Ū" to a normal "U". So you have then to wait till 13.0.3.

I described it here. On Mac I use another app. The image is also different but the process is the same.

Open it in notepad++ and then change the utf-8 to MacOS Roman. And save it.

attachicon.gifBildschirmfoto 2020-01-08 um 15.25.21.png

If you use the Estonian Bible from the Unbound Bible then it is not possible without stripping the "Ū" to a normal "U". So you have then to wait till 13.0.3.

I don't see any option to encode it to MacOS Roman in Notepad++.

When is 13.0.3 supposed to release?

If you are importing on Windows, you need to import with the ISO Latin encoding, not macOS.  13.0.3 is coming soon.

• Like 1

If you are importing on Windows, you need to import with the ISO Latin encoding, not macOS.  13.0.3 is coming soon.

Thanks good to know.

I used ISO 8859-4 which seems to be the one for Estonian.  It makes the letters a bit scrambled looking on Notepad++, but I tried to import it anyway.  I get the same error message as before that the first word is corrupting the text. 

I'm about to give up and hope for better in 13.0.3!

Bible text corrupted.pdf

If you are importing on Windows, you need to import with the ISO Latin encoding, not macOS.

Joel, is this for all non unicode Bibles in the Win version?

I don't see the ISO Latin encoding mentioned in the Win Help files. Should this be added?

Edited by Fabian