Old Syriac Sinaiticus & Curetonian (now available)

TYA

Greetings all,

Accordance offers the Old Syriac Sinaiticus and Curetonian texts here, but I'm making another version available for anyone interested.  (These will likely be posted on the Accordance Exchange soon, but due to technical issues, Accordance's staff gave me permission to post them here also.)

The primary reason for making these modules available is that (at least in the case of Old Syriac Sinaiticus) there is more text available in "my" version that is not extant in Accordance's version.  (For example, Mat 4:23-25 is available in my version, but not Accordance, just for starters; see attached screenshot).

Regarding the difference, I don't know what manuscripts / editions George Kiraz used to make Accordance's version of Old Syriac Sinaiticus, but "my" modules were prepared as follows.

"This database contains the text of the Old Syriac Sinaiticus manuscript, which is a disputed Syriac text containing the text of the four gospels.  The current text was entered by Ewan MacLeod and proofread against "The Four Gospels in Syriac, transcribed from the Sinaitic Palimpset", by Bensley, Harris and Burkitt, published by the Cambridge University Press in 1894.  Also consulted was "Old Syriac Manuscripts" by Lewis, which is an invaluable book showing the differences between the Sinaitic and Curetonian manuscripts. These books and the text itself are now in the public domain."

With regards to the Curetonian fragment,

"This database contains the text of the Old Syriac Curetonian manuscript, which is a disputed Syriac text containing the text of the four gospels.  The current text was entered by Ewan MacLeod and proofread against the book "Old Syriac Manuscripts" by Lewis, which is an invaluable book showing the differences between the Sinaitic and Curetonian manuscripts. This book and the text itself are now in the public domain."

I won't drag on about these, but if you have any questions or interest, let me know.  Both modules are in Hebrew square script, untagged, and unvowelized.  Also, the creator, Ewan Macleod, is a knowledgeable teacher of both Hebrew and Aramaic, and he has a wealth of resources at jesusspokearamaic.com

Message me privately if you would like these modules, and I will gladly email them to you.  Here is a screenshot showing how Old Syriac Sinaiticus looks compared to Accordance's version at the start of Matthew.  (Accordance's text is on the right side).

post-35231-0-61397900-1569905958_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 3