Dead Sea Scrolls - Masoretic Notes?

Michael Miles

Howdy there!

I am contemplating adding DSS resources to my Accordance library and a question flashed through my head that I thought that I might ask the knowledgeable folks here - were there ever any Masoretic notes found amongst the Hebrew Scriptures of the Dead Sea Scrolls?  I know that this is kind of an Old Testament textual criticism question and I would really like to know the answer so that I can fund the appropriate resources for my interests.

Thank you!

Michael

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not an expert on the DSS, but I do know that the Masoretes were five or six centuries later than the DSS, so there won't be any kind of Masoretic notes in them.

• Like 1

No Masoretic Notes that I'm aware of either, but the closest thing I've heard of might be the pesher material (commentaries) on books like Habakkuk, found at Dead Sea.

There are no "Masoretic" notes but there are some supposed scribal notations. The closest thing to vocalization is the ​material letters in words. There are a few markingings that can suggest sentence markers and line divisions. The Pesher material is not a treatise on grammar per say similar to Maseretic notes- it is purely based on commentary devised by the community at large. My Masters thesis which covers the Pesher on Habakuk may be helpful to understand the function of those documents but there are a lot of other works that are much more helpful. My paper can be found here if anyone is interested: https://www.academia.edu/34903343/Anchors_to_Actualization_A_Preliminary_Study_on_Noun_Citation_Frames_in_the_Continuous_Pesher_Documents

• Like 3

My Masters thesis

Looks exciting.  Thank you!

Edited by TYA