Parallel text selection box(es)

A. Smith

When I’ve got a text and commentary (or anything else) running parallel, I can click the title of the parallel text and the selection box pops up to let me select the text. However, now that we can have folders that mirror the desktop organization (hooray!) that process can become clumsy. Here’s what happens in my case:

I tap the title and get the initial selection box of texts, tools, and notes, each organized according to my folders or accordance’s categories (dictionaries, commentaries, grammars, etc). Then I click, say, commentaries and—for my organization—the box becomes much smaller as I’ve only got three main folders (whole bible, OT, and NT). What that means is that the whole box jumps down and the place where I was naturally wanting to click (up higher where the commentaries folder was) has suddenly moved. Then, I click, say, NT, and the box jumps again as I’ve got a large number to choose from.

I know nothing about interface design. I sort of understand why the box is shifting (to remain centered and connected to the original selection point at the header of the parallel pane (I don’t know how to describe this properly). But I’ve been using this multiple times a day for however long and it still feels very clumsy and somehow wrong. Pictures attached may help.

post-29320-0-04765000-1563888244_thumb.png

post-29320-0-19922900-1563888269_thumb.png

• Like 1

I complained about that here a month ago: https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/26370-a-couple-of-minor-issues/

The shrinking is less troublesome if the screen is split between left and right instead of top and bottom, because in that case the items don't move on the screen. Since that's the default layout, maybe it isn't bothering a lot of people.

• Like 1