Allow LXX-MT module to search for Hebrew word = Greek word

miketisdell

Would it be possible to limit the Merge to only include verses that match the displayed portion of the verse when "show text as" is set to "Add Titles?"

Explanation:

There are many times where I would like to find specific instances specific Hebrew word is translated by a specific Greek word. However, the LXX-MT module does not permit this. The closest I can get is a search for a Greek word in one window and a search for a Hebrew word in another combined with the merged results of the first window. This works OK when the likelihood of two other Hebrew words translated by the same Greek word/ or other Greek words translated by the same Hebrew word will likely not appear in the same verse. However, when the words chosen are common and it is very likely that they both may appear in the same verse but are not related to each other, you then get many false positives.

For example, searching for occurrences where מן is translated by ἐπὶ is very difficult because ἐπὶ is also translated by על, אל, ל, ב, etc... these are all very common and occur quite frequently in verse that also contain מן. When the results are merged together, verses that had matches in both prior searches list all matches found in the verse even though they are not found as translation matches.

If the Merge function could be limited to match only against the displayed portion of the text in the other LXX-MT window rather than any occurrence in the entire verse, then this search could be accomplished by setting the "show text as" to "Add Titles" (as was done in my example). This would greatly enhance the power of the LXX-MT module!

post-35053-0-93020400-1558134140_thumb.jpg

Hi Mike,

Is this what you want :

post-32023-0-24460800-1558140378_thumb.jpg

Note that the search scope is set to paragraph and the Show Text as is Add Titles.

Thx

D

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Is this what you want :

attachicon.gifsc.jpg

Note that the search scope is set to paragraph and the Show Text as is Add Titles.

Thx

D

That is what I wanted i.e. I didn't know about the search scope setting!!!

Thanks!

Hi Mike,

Is this what you want :

attachicon.gifsc.jpg

Thx

D

Now I may have found a bug. I went back and ran an older search that did not give me results I wanted and the results look good but the statistics look wrong.

In the first windows "[LXX-MT Greek]" I searched for: κυρι*

The results are: 7965 hits.

In the second window "[LXX-MT Hebrew]" I search for: יהוה

The results are: 6944 hits.

However, when I change the first search to: κυρι* <AND> [MERGE MT-LXX Hebrew]

The results are: 12474 hits.

I can think of no reason why the hit count should increase when I <AND> with the merge from the Hebrew search. I expected the count to go down substantially, not up.

Note: Searches with theos rather than kurios behave as expected (but the counts are also a magnitude smaller).

I tried this and actually my numbers don't match yours exactly but they are close.

And while the hits go up in the last case - in my case to 13319, the hit paragraphs drop from 14435 to 12564.

My guess is that the hits count both words the Greek and the Hebrew in the paragraph.

Not sure why the numbers don't match exactly. I get the 6944 for the Hebrew initial search but 7964 not 7965 for the Greek. I'm using v 1.3 of the CATSS MT-LXX module.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I tried this and actually my numbers don't match yours exactly but they are close.

And while the hits go up in the last case - in my case to 13319, the hit paragraphs drop from 14435 to 12564.

My guess is that the hits count both words the Greek and the Hebrew in the paragraph.

Not sure why the numbers don't match exactly. I get the 6944 for the Hebrew initial search but 7964 not 7965 for the Greek. I'm using v 1.3 of the CATSS MT-LXX module.

Thx

D

It seems to only be a problem when there is a high number of hits; otherwise it works correctly. The results appear to be correct but not the counts in the statistics screen. Making a bug report now.

Edited by miketisdell