Commas instead of Colons for Verse References

TYA

Is there a way to change the format of "References" to have commas between each verse reference instead of colons?  If not, please accept this as a request for that option.  I personally prefer commas, and only use colons to separate verse references from one book from those of another book.

Edited by TYA

Hi Toma,

I'm not at my computer, but I think in the Preferences you can set the verse display to European notation, with a comma between chapter and verse.

שלום

Correction: I meant to say "semicolons" instead of colons.  Here is a screenshot of what "Copy As" -> "References" yields for me when I paste into MS Notepad.  Notice that everything is separated by a semicolon.

I think in the Preferences you can set the verse display to European notation

I'm not seeing this option (or just don't know where to look).  I saw a section in the Preferences for "Citation," but I'm referring specifically to "References" here, which just gives the verse references--not the text.  Thank you.

post-35231-0-12020000-1552182743_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA

In case it helps, I was referring to Preferences > Appearance > Use European verse notation to get Gen 1,1 instead of Gen 1:1. I don't think there is a setting to change the semi-colon between references to a colon, though I could easily be wrong.

Thank you, Michel.  My fault for the miscommunication.

If the option doesn't exist, then I'd like to have it.  But even if Accordance doesn't make it an option, wouldn't it make more sense to use commas for a series of verse references from the same book, and semicolons at the start of the next book?

Example: Gen 1:1, 2, 3, 6, 2:1, 2, 3, 6; Exo 1:1, 2, 3; Lev 1:1, 2, 3

Edited by TYA

Hi Toma,

If I paste directly what you have above into the search field for a text (ESVS in this test) it works fine, at least on Mac it does.

There is an option to change the colon between ch and vs to a '.', but this is for display in the search pane not for entry I think.

So I'm missing something or my config is doing what you want.

Also, I have the User European notation box unchecked.

Incidentally, if I select all those vss in the pane and copy as refs and paste it into vi, this is what I get :

Gen. 1:1–3, 6; 2:1–3, 6; Ex. 1:1–3; Lev. 1:1–3

So is the problem you are pointing to in the copy out rather than on the search input side ? If so perhaps all that is needed is a slight tweak on the export options.

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל

If the option doesn't exist, then I'd like to have it.  But even if Accordance doesn't make it an option, wouldn't it make more sense to use commas for a series of verse references from the same book, and semicolons at the start of the next book?

Example: Gen 1:1, 2, 3, 6, 2:1, 2, 3, 6; Exo 1:1, 2, 3; Lev 1:1, 2, 3

This is so by default. 

But the image you posted don't have this. It is always a series like Gen 1:2-5:6. So there is no need for a comma.

Greetings

Fabian

Okay, I see that I'm mistaken here.  My apologies.  Accordance *is* using commas.  I was diagnosing this improperly because another program that I paste verse references *into* is somehow changing the commas into semicolons.  Thank you all for your helpful answers, and sorry for the mistake on my end.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

In addition, I have a really useful lectionary app which shows me all the readings for the year including special, 2nd and 3rd services. when i copy

Deuteronomy 26.1-11

Psalm 91.1-2,9-16*

Romans 10.8b-13

Luke 4.1-13

On the ipad, I can paste into the search, edit by adding semi colons and delete a star and b, i then see all the readings for today's principal service, accordance accepts the comma and period and n dash. It just took me a bit of experimentation when i first started using both to get the workflow sorted. There doesnt appear to be any settings for format under search, it just works.

post-31185-0-87453500-1552209015_thumb.jpeg

post-31185-0-91807100-1552209030_thumb.jpeg

Edited by ukfraser

Thank you, Fraser, for the insights.