Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church

wcombs

I am not a Roman Catholic, so I am somewhat confused as to what is the latest official catechism of the church. Is the one that is part of the Accordance "Catholic Documents Group" the latest and complete edition? The description for the module "Catholic Catechism English" says it was first published in English in 1992. Wikipedia says the latest catechism was first published in English in 1994. Amazon has a 2nd edition that they list as 2003. Not sure what is going on.

The "About This Text" reads, 

Catholic Catechism (English)

The Catechism of the Catholic Church (English) (C. Catechism-E)

©1997 Libreria Editrice Vatican, Vatican City
Used by permission of Amministrazione del Patrimonio Della Sede Apostlica, Vatican City

Electronic text hypertexted and prepared by OakTree Software, Inc.

Version 1.5

The image (not shown) is of the latest edition. I do not have my hard copy with me. I can check it later. I do not think the Amazon date refers to the last published revision (the Pope did change the section on the death penalty recently, but I am not sure that is reflected in printed copies yet), but I am not sure.

Looking at my hardback print edition, which is called the second edition, the copyright of the English is 1994, 1997, same as the Latin text promulgated by Pope John Paul II. The USCCB (United States Conference of Catholic Bishops), which publishes the Catechism for the US says that its printing of the Catechism in English is based on the 1997 Latin text: http://store.usccb.org/catechism-of-the-catholic-church-p/5-110.htm

I would say that the Accordance module is as up to date as you will find. The tweak by Pope Francis has not been reflected in print or e-text, near as I can tell. The 2011 date on Amazon may reflect the Kindle edition release (my speculation).

The icon in the accordance module appears to be that of the hardback edition I have (second edition published by Libreria Editrice Vatican).

Hope this and my earlier post help.