History

markusvonkaenel

I'm currently reading Genesis 20ff. There it's written, that the Shepards of animals are an abdomination for the Aegyptans.

I need a good book which explains such things. Recommendations Wellcome.

As usual: first German titles than English. 

Thanks for help.

• Like 1

sorry Genesis 46ff

[46:33–34*] The brothers are to answer in the same way when the Pharaoh questions them. They are to emphasize further that their fathers exercised the same occupation from their youth (vv. 33–34*). The wish that the Pharaoh allow them to settle in Goshen does not explain adequately this firm insistence. Pharaoh’s answer shows that there is no difficulty here. But the wisdom of Joseph the statesman goes much further. The Pharaoh is to be assured that his brothers entertain no ambitions to rise higher under the aegis of their brother, the Pharaoh’s highest minister. In relation to his brothers and the Pharaoh Joseph is concerned to preserve the lines of division between the court to which his office binds him and the provision made for his family. He is indeed a wise statesman.

Many exegetes say that the last reason given in v. 34b*, “because all shepherds are an abomination in Egypt,” cannot be demonstrated from Egyptian sources and is too general to apply to shepherds as such (e.g., E. A. Speiser). One must agree with A. Dillmann and others who for this reason take the remark as applying only to non-Egyptian nomads (cf. 43:32*). It is possible that Joseph is thus giving his brothers a warning.

--Claus Westermann, A Continental Commentary: Genesis 37–50 (Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2002), 168.

So very well might be easier said than done since the source of this distaste is not known to us today.

-dan

Thank you Daniel

Now I have to look for a good history book about that time and place.

I'm currently reading Genesis 20ff. There it's written, that the Shepards of animals are an abdomination for the Aegyptans.

I need a good book which explains such things. Recommendations Wellcome.

As usual: first German titles than English. 

Thanks for help.

Hello Markus,

If you do a search of your library for the Hyksos or Shepherd Kings you should find some results that will help you to understand the circumstances pertaining to Genesis chapter 46.

I hope this helps,

Michael

• Like 1

Shalom Markus,

Sorry that I can't yet provide you German resources (but G-d-willing, one day).  Here are a few sources which show Accordance' wonderful library offerings--specifically giving various insights into Gen 46:34.

The Commentators' Bible:

Rashi: "Because the Egyptians worship sheep."  Rashbam: "“What we sacrifice to the LORD our God is untouchable to the Egyptians” (Exod. 8:22)."  Aben Ezra: "A shepherd would have been abhorrent to them because shepherds drink milk. The inhabitants of India neither eat nor drink anything that comes from a sentient animal. They are vegans to this day."

Shocken Bible Notes (which I just purchased on sale):

"every shepherd . . . is an abomination to the Egyptians: Speiser understands this as a reference to the Hyksos “shepherd kings,” who as foreigners ruled Egypt in the mid-Second Millennium (until they were driven out)."

Jewish Study Bible Notes:

"46:34: Goshen is a fertile region in the eastern delta of the Nile. It is unclear why all shepherds are abhorrent to Egyptians. Pharaoh has herds of his own (47:6). Some scholars connect this with a late folk etymology of “Hyksos” associated with the Egyptian word for “shepherd.” The Hyksos were a Syro–Palestinian group who ruled Lower Egypt about 1680–1540 BCE."

Biblical Archaeology Review (2016):

"“But the Egyptians did not like the Bedouin: “All shepherds are abhorrent to Egyptians” (Genesis 46:34).

The margins of the Nile Delta, like “the Land of Goshen” (where the Israelites settled), were a place of refuge for the nomads. Nomadic tribes would encamp at the edge of the irrigation channels in order to survive, and they almost certainly enjoyed the protection of the authorities as well as elementary food provisions. In return, the nomads would offer their labor. As the rulers became accustomed to exploiting this cheap manpower, it is no wonder that they would want to maintain their hold over them. This is apparently the background for the enslavement of the Israelites."

Finally, some Chassidic midrash says that the Egyptians' hatred of shepherds (= Israelites) was by divine providence in order to keep the Jews from being assimilated while in exile.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 2

--Claus Westermann, A Continental Commentary: Genesis 37–50 (Minneapolis, MN: Fortress Press, 2002), 168.

Da müsstest du sicher auch die Deutsche (Original Version) finden. Wie ich schon früher geschrieben habe, die hälfte der Accordance Kommentare sind eigentlich deutschen Ursprungs.

Grüsse

Fabian

Da müsstest du sicher auch die Deutsche (Original Version) finden. Wie ich schon früher geschrieben habe, die hälfte der Accordance Kommentare sind eigentlich deutschen Ursprungs.

Grüsse

Fabian

Fabian's comments in English (via Google Translate):

There you would surely also the German (original version) to find. As I wrote earlier, half of the Accordance comments are actually of German origin.

regards

Fabian

Grüsse

Fabian

Habe ich gefunden. Danke für den Hinweis. Sind aber schon recht alt, fast schon Älter als ich  :) und ich weiss, das die Archäologie in der Zwischenzeit einiges rausgefunden hat. Daneben sind die deutschen Bücher auch recht teuer.

@ TYA: Thanks for the extensive help. I always forget to look in my books.... The commentators bible is on the wishlist, but will come from Bar Ilan. They are slow in printing; Middle East. 

Concerning the BAR and the Bible Atlas from Carta, what is the more useful source? I would prefer Carta, because it's Israel. Concerning my question: I'm more interested in history than commentaries.

Edited by markusvonkaenel
  • Like 1

Concerning the BAR and the Bible Atlas from Carta, what is the more useful source? I would prefer Carta, because it's Israel. Concerning my question: I'm more interested in history than commentaries.

I can't say, because I haven't spent much time in Carta yet.  The BAR is an archaeological magazine (Hershel Shanks, ed.) with about 25 years of articles, so it isn't really a historical work or commentary, per se; but it has a ton of content which connects archaeology, history, and the Bible together.  (Hershel Shanks is a Jew, but some articles relate to Apostolic Writings also).

I know you are more interested in history, but good commentaries often incorporate history as well.  That's why I like the Research Tab so much, because it allows broader searching.  If Accordance implements multiple filters there (like "Content" AND "Scripture") then the Research tab will be even more helpful in that regard.

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...