Accordance for Lutherans

ToddPeperkorn

Friends,

I think I've posted on this before, so I'll reiterate.

I would be interested in seeing a section or an email list on using Accordance for Lutherans. As a Lutheran pastor using a lectionary and coming from a particular confession, there are elements of Accordance that are extremely helpful to me, but others that I will never use. Is there a way of making a section of this forum for particular confessions/denominations, or would it make more sense to setup an email list for the same?

Thanks,

Todd

Can you say more about why you think that would be helpful?

I can see that the appeal/importance of particular modules/resources would vary by denomination.

But beyond the issue of modules, I'm not seeing how the Lutheran use of Accordance would vary from, say, the United Methodist use of Accordance....I can see how the theological presuppositions would differ, but not how those presuppositions would affect the way Accordance works.

Maybe some specific examples would help me get my head around why that would be helpful.

Lorinda

Can you say more about why you think that would be helpful?

I can see that the appeal/importance of particular modules/resources would vary by denomination.

But beyond the issue of modules, I'm not seeing how the Lutheran use of Accordance would vary from, say, the United Methodist use of Accordance....I can see how the theological presuppositions would differ, but not how those presuppositions would affect the way Accordance works.

Maybe some specific examples would help me get my head around why that would be helpful.

Lorinda

Good question.

A part of my query comes from another email group I participate in entitled Logos for Lutherans. I've found it a great place to keep up with modules that impact Lutherans. There are also very helpful discussions on using the lectionaries, upcoming features and products, and the like.

It may be that because there aren't many specifically Lutheran resources (e.g. the Book of Concord) in Accordance, that the need isn't really there.

I second Todd's suggestion. Why not a module on the Common Lectionary so we have all the lessons in one place? We've discussed the Book of Concord before and the hangup seems to be with the publishers (Concordia and Augsburg). Helen, any progress with either publishing house?

In terms of the Common Lectionary, one option would be for someone to create a user tool and make it available on the Accordance Exchange. That's been done for the Revised Common Lectionary. I've found it an invaluable tool in my sermon and worship preparation, so I can see how other lectionaries would be helpful.

Both of you probably already know this, but for others reading this thread, Luther's Large Catechism is available at Accordance Exchange, and Steve Bauer, a WELS pastors, has a large set of User Tools, including Luther's Small Catechism and the WELS lectionary. The link to Steve Bauer's resources at the Exchange isn't working, but you can find his collection of user tools by going to stevebauer.us and clicking on Accordance at the top of the page. [Edited as the first link didn't work]

Thanks for providing more specifics. I can see how collaborating/communicating about modules of specific interest to Lutherans or other traditions would be helpful.

Lorinda

In terms of the Common Lectionary, one option would be for someone to create a user tool and make it available on the Accordance Exchange. That's been done for the Revised Common Lectionary. I've found it an invaluable tool in my sermon and worship preparation, so I can see how other lectionaries would be helpful.

Lorinda

You could take my Revised Common Lectionary User Tool and modify it.

I would love to see something like what Todd has mentioned. It would also be nice to have the historic Western lectionary available. Being relatively new to Accordance, I am not sure how to access these user tools mentioned here or where to find them. I wasn't able to access the link in the earlier message. I would love to have the Large Catechism, for example.

Sorry about the link. I don't know why it didn't work. But I've edited my post above, with a shorter link and instructions for how to get to the Acordance page on his site from there.

The Accordance Exchange can be found here:

http://www.accordancebible.com/exchange/index.htm

If you click on the User Tools icon at the top, you'll be taken to a list of available user tools. Luther's catechism in in the bottom third of the list. There's also a module there with the (1530) Augsburg Confession that I overlooked before.

Lorinda

(not a Lutheran, but married to one :) )

• 2 weeks later...

Archived