Robert Alter's Translation of the Hebrew Bible

arnehalbakken

The last time Helen/Rick responded was about a year ago.  I'm not as concerned about the timeframe for release as I am that the licensing hasn't been derailed.  If Accordance will be releasing it someday, I will borrow for now.  If not, I will buy the new 3-volume set.

• Like 1

I'm looking into the status of this. Will let you know as soon as I hear anything.

• Like 8

I really appreciate this Mark - I love the print edition but it would be so useful to have the text (and his excellent notes) in Accordance

• Like 2

I'm really hoping to get this soon on Accordance. I'm about ready to buy it for Kindle, which would negate me getting it here. 

Sadly, we've just been informed that Robert Alter's publisher doesn't license the rights to his translation to electronic publishers. 

Edited by Mark Allison
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

BTW, Robert Alter's books "The Art of Biblical Narrative" and "The Art of Biblical Poetry" are offered by a different publisher, and we're currently talking with them about licensing the electronic rights to those works.

• Like 8

Contact Mark or me in a private message if you want to get the contact information for the individual at Norton and send a polite request for Alter's translation to be released for Accordance. Any policy can be changed. Frankly, any policy like this is simply leaving money on the table for publishers, but they don't always understand that.

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 2/20/2020 at 7:45 AM, R. Mansfield said:

Contact Mark or me in a private message if you want to get the contact information for the individual at Norton and send a polite request for Alter's translation to be released for Accordance. Any policy can be changed. Frankly, any policy like this is simply leaving money on the table for publishers, but they don't always understand that.

Thank you! I will, and I hope a number of other Accordance users will, too!

I'm also going to ask for info to nicely ask the same of those who publish:

• The Kingdom New Testament (translated by NT Wright)
• The First Testament (OT translated by John Goldingay)

• Like 1

If anyone would like to politely request titles (such as Robert Alter's "The Hebrew Bible”) from Norton, this is the contact person:

Lucia Madero Murillo

Subsidiary Rights Assistant | W. W. Norton & Company

500 Fifth Avenue | New York, NY 10110

Tel: 212-372-4979

lmurillo@wwnorton.com

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jon Ball said:

Thank you! I will, and I hope a number of other Accordance users will, too!

I'm also going to ask for info to nicely ask the same of those who publish:

• The Kingdom New Testament (translated by NT Wright)
• The First Testament (OT translated by John Goldingay)

Zondervan is the publisher of The Kingdom New Testament by NT Wright, and we've actually developed the module. There is a licensing issue with offering it as a stand-alone module that we're still trying to negotiate. 

IVP is the publisher of Goldingay's "The First Testament." We're actively pursuing licensing that work now.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark Allison said:

Zondervan is the publisher of The Kingdom New Testament by NT Wright, and we've actually developed the module. There is a licensing issue with offering it as a stand-alone module that we're still trying to negotiate. 

IVP is the publisher of Goldingay's "The First Testament." We're actively pursuing licensing that work now.

mark,

is the stand alone licence to do with only publishing the nt rather than the combined bible?

is there any difference between goldingay's first testament and his translation in the bible for everyone where goldingay and tom wrights translations are combined? 

here in the uk that is spck Who also publish the for everyone commentaries over here but i notice that the for everyone commentaries in accordance are westminster john knox and i thought they were the basis for the text with only minor alterations. 

https://spckpublishing.co.uk/the-bible-for-everyone

ps, im glad we just have to wait for you to sort the licensing details out! God bless!

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark Allison said:

Zondervan is the publisher of The Kingdom New Testament by NT Wright, and we've actually developed the module. 

Just to make everyone crazy, here's a screenshot. 

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rick, still the tease I see ...

26 minutes ago, Timothy Hall said:

Rick, still the tease I see ...

🤡

• Like 2

If anyone would like to politely request titles (such as Robert Alter's "The Hebrew Bible”) from Norton, this is the contact person:

Actually, I just sent an email to that address, and that person no longer works at Norton.  For those interested in Robert Alter's "The Hebrew Bible," please send a request to either nderobertistheye@wwnorton.com or ekerr@wwnorton.com, per the reply that I received from Mark's initial contact above.

Edited by TYA
Updated info

• 3 weeks later...

I strongly support the suggestion of creating a module for the Robert Alter translation of the OT. We need it. The 1985 JPS translation is already dated.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thank you Accordance team for pursuing Alter's translation.  My son has a hard copy.  As I've been preaching through a portion of Psalms, he's taking pictures and emailing them to me.  So good! Would love to have this in the Accordance library.

• Like 2

On 2/18/2019 at 7:21 PM, R. Mansfield said:

Hopefully, we’ll remember to catch that before release 😉

I don't see this bug in the ePub and in the PDF.

But 1Sam 4:22 is numbered as 4:20 which is obviously wrong.

Job 30:26 has a bug.

905511888_Bildschirmfoto2021-08-29um22_58_24.png.039d5d563d6787398bfba85a860e0871.png

Content of 2Chr. 15:19 is missing. There is also no footnote.

Jer 37:18 are two times, the second should be 19.

2Chr 20:30. There is 23, but this is a wrong number. It should be 30. Number 23 is there between 22 and 24.

• 6 months later...

I’d really love Alter’s translation, too! I’ll email those two people above. 

And do any of you here like/love Richard Elliott Friedman’s translation (and commentaries) in his “Commentary on the Torah,” published around 2000? It’s really good (I was a student of his in undergrad, UC San Diego), and I’d love to have it in Accordance. There have been other threads about it but I’m not sure if they went anywhere (certainly didn’t get a few dozen replies like this thread!), and I’m bringing it up here because it’s might be relevant to those interested in Alter’s translation. 

There are so many Jewish texts available on Sefaria.org now, and Jewish friends and rabbinic colleagues often wonder why I would use software like Accordance still, but then they see my window on my Mac with HMT, JPS, Fox, Fox notes, several other translations like NRSV etc., JPS Torah Commentary, Anchor, JSB… and they’re just blown away. 

So, getting Alter and Friedman would be wonderful! 

Adam 

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 12:41 AM, Fabian said:

I don't see this bug in the ePub and in the PDF.

But 1Sam 4:22 is numbered as 4:20 which is obviously wrong.

Job 30:26 has a bug.

905511888_Bildschirmfoto2021-08-29um22_58_24.png.039d5d563d6787398bfba85a860e0871.png

Content of 2Chr. 15:19 is missing. There is also no footnote.

Jer 37:18 are two times, the second should be 19.

2Chr 20:30. There is 23, but this is a wrong number. It should be 30. Number 23 is there between 22 and 24.

@Mark Allison have you checked this? Only for the case it could be released.

7 minutes ago, Fabian said:

@Mark Allison have you checked this? Only for the case it could be released.

Alter's publishers won't release the digital files for development, so I've never seen them. 

• Sad 2