Missing text in the Mishna

miketisdell

Either there is a textual variant that I do not know of, or there is missing text in the Hebrew text of the Mishna. Note that the English and Hebrew texts do not agree.

(12) וּמָה הָיוּ אוֹמְרוֹת שָׂא נָא עֵינֶיךָ בָּחוּר וּרְאֵה מָה אַתְּ בּוֹרֵר לָךְ אַל תִּתֵּן עֵינֶיךָ בַנּוֹיִי תֵּן עֵינֶיךָ בַמִּשְׁפָּחָה וְכֵן הוּא אוֹמ׳ צְאֶינָה וּרְאֶינָה בַנוֹת צִיּוֹן בַּמֶּלֶךְ שְׁלֹמֹה וג׳ בְּיוֹם חֲתוּנָּתוֹ זוֹ מַתַּן תּוֹרָה וּבְיוֹם שִׂמְחַת לִבּוֹ זֶה בִּינְיָין בֵּית הַמִּקְדָּשׁ יְהִי רָצוֹן שֶׁיִּבָּנֶה בִּמְהַרָה בְיָמֵינוּ

(Taanit 4:8 Kaufmann Mishna (grammatically tagged))

What did they say? F. “Fellow, look around and see-choose what you want! G. “Don’t look for beauty, look for family: H. “Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord will be praised (Prov. 31:30).” I. And it says, Give her of the fruit of her hands and let her works praise her in the gates (Prov. 31:31). J. And so it says, Go forth, you daughters of Zion, and behold King Solomon with the crown with which his mother crowned him in the day of his espousals and in the day of the gladness of his heart (Song of Songs. 3:11).

(Taanit 4:8 The Mishnah: A New Translation)

I only have the Kaufman module but since they are prepared by two different people it is possible the additions they used differed or one chose one reading over another.

Matt is correct.  Kaufmann's Hebrew text doesn't match Neusner's English in that passage.  I have the Mishnah from another publisher, and it has your "missing" Hebrew text (see attached).

post-35231-0-69395900-1540712144_thumb.jpg

post-35231-0-64642800-1540712148_thumb.jpg

Edited by TYA
  • Like 1

Matt is correct.  Kaufmann's Hebrew text doesn't match Neusner's English in that passage.  I have the Mishnah from another publisher, and it has your "missing" Hebrew text (see attached).

If it was produced by Neusner than that does not surprise me. His Graduate students write most of his translations from editions he selects.

• Like 2

So does anyone know whether this is a recognized variant or whether the Kaufmann text has an error?

I don't know, but that would be quite an omission from the Kaufmann text.

So does anyone know whether this is a recognized variant or whether the Kaufmann text has an error?

Is there any input from Accordance on this?

Is there any input from Accordance on this?

"Conveniently, MISH-T has been mapped with MISH-N, Jacob Neusner’s English translation, thus accommodating the needs of a variety of Hebrew proficiencies among its users. Additionally, the module has been mapped to MISHNA, the standard Hebrew text of the Mishnah (the basis for Neusner’s translation), thus allowing the user to identify important variants attested in the Kaufmann manuscript."

From: https://www.accordancebible.com/buzz/articles/mish-t.php

I bolded the text above to point it out. MISH-N is based on MISHNA which is the Eshkol text. MISH-T is the Kaufman A 50 text.

• Like 1

"Conveniently, MISH-T has been mapped with MISH-N, Jacob Neusner’s English translation, thus accommodating the needs of a variety of Hebrew proficiencies among its users. Additionally, the module has been mapped to MISHNA, the standard Hebrew text of the Mishnah (the basis for Neusner’s translation), thus allowing the user to identify important variants attested in the Kaufmann manuscript."

From: https://www.accordancebible.com/buzz/articles/mish-t.php

I bolded the text above to point it out. MISH-N is based on MISHNA which is the Eshkol text. MISH-T is the Kaufman A 50 text.

I was able to locate a facsimile copy of the Kaufman text and it appears this is a true variant. Note, in most cases the Kaufman adds text rather than subtracts text. This one was a little surprising.

post-35053-0-23059800-1540937213_thumb.jpg

• Like 2