ἀνάθημα gift; accursed thing (1) (common)

Ιακοβ

The concordance side panel thingy might be a little misleading in how it defines this word. I don't know who's dictionary it is, but perhaps "gift" could be amended  (BDAG for example says "accursed" and "votive offering"

ἀνάθημα gift; accursed thing  (1)  (common)

Hi Ιακοβ,

Note quite on point but, there is a very interesting article on ἀνάθημα vs ἀνάθeμα in Trench's synonyms. I haven't read it all yet but interesting. Muraoka's Septuagint lexicon treats the two as simple variant spellings and does not comment on the thesis put forward in Trench. Trench also notes that the sample size in the NT is small enough to be problematic for drawing firm conclusions on the point but the usage of each spelling in the NT is also interesting. And Strong tags them differently.

What would you like to see this gloss say instead ? I'm pretty sure the concordance is taking it from the gloss files but I could be wrong.

Thx

D

• Like 1

What would you like to see this gloss say instead ? I'm pretty sure the concordance is taking it from the gloss files but I could be wrong.

I don't have an opinion on how it should be updated. I am merely suggesting that I think an update to the definition should be considered.