Importing User Groups

ct253

Hello.

I have just recently installed Accordance on my work computer (which is my 2nd computer). I've successfully got my modules in my new Accordance now, but I have spent a lot of time making detailed folder structures in "My Groups" and would love to copy those to the new computer to save all that time. Is there a way to do this? Or is there a file in, say, Application Support that I could copy over? (I'm going from my original Mac to my 2nd computer—a Windows.)

Thanks,

Colin

I think that if you transfer the file called User Groups from one Preferences folder to another, it will restore your arrangement. The catch is to find it.

On the Mac it's in user/Library/Preferences/Accordance Preferences, but the user/Library is not normally visible. You can press option as you open the Go menu to make it visible.

Then on the PC is should be in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Local\Accordance\Accordance Preferences.

I think you are looking in the wrong Preferences folder, the one in Application Support. Look in user/Library/Preferences.

• Like 2

Well, you learn something new every day! I found it in there, and will try it. Thanks!

Helen,

I ended up having success. I was not successful with just the User Groups preference file, but when I did that and Tools, it looks like it worked fine.

However, now I am having another issue (and I don't know if it's related). On my original computer (Mac), I have a module that I imported (User Tools > Convert) from my own library. However, now, every minute or two, a popup alert notifies me that:

"A module with the name "C.S. Lewis - God in the Dockº" has already been added." 

I have already gone in an deleted the module from the library, but it did not solve anything here. It's happening so often that it is not just irritating, but it pretty actively interferes in me being able to do much work in Accordance.

Again, no clue if this is related to the previous thing, but it started on the same day.

Thanks,

Colin

Not sure what you mean by a previous thing?

Is this User Tool included in any of your old user Groups or Workspaces?

Sorry for the lack of clarity. I meant, I don't know if it's related to the changes I did with the preference files. Or, alternatively, if it is something different that just happened to start close to the same time.

This User Tool is included in User Groups.

It's hard to say for sure what the problem is here, but I suspect it might be due to copying the "User Groups" preferences without copying the "User Tools" preferences.  You might try copying that over as well, and see if it sorts the problem.

I would suggest removing the tool from all the User Groups. Then you should be able to add it back.

• Like 1

I think (fingers crossed) I figured it out. For some reason, my computer had 5 instances of the module in various places. I just kept one as a backup, and deleted the other 4. So far, it's been alright.

Thanks for your help!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Is it possible to copy the User Groups preference file from Mac to PC or is that file OS specific?

Thanks,

—Joseph

I believe you can. I can try to hunt down the file location if you need it.

I know the file locations and tried it yesterday, but the file from the Mac was not recognized by the windows Accordance program.

Either I did not copy and transfer properly or there are file differences in the preference files between Mac and Windows. I am not sure which of the two possibilities is happening or if there is a third something I am not thinking about.

Thanks,

--Joseph

Can you email the file to me at nparker[at]accordancebible[dot]com (replace the bracketed text with punctuation)? I’ll take a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

It might me that an extension needs to be appended on it for Windows.