Bug in the Research tool

miketisdell

When I right click on a Hebrew word and choose Research to access information from a Hebrew Lexicon, it appears as of accordance is passing the inflected form rather than the lexeme which results in nothing being returned. 

post-35053-0-83614300-1530017165_thumb.jpg

This results in the following error.

post-35053-0-67864600-1530017177_thumb.jpg

Note: When Live click is enabled, clicking on the text returns the expected results.

You're probably selecting the waw as well as klh and a search for both is being attempted. Select only tekhal and it should work as expected.

I had already checked this, but I checked again and no it does not work. The instant details shows that I have selected the correct portion.

You're probably selecting the waw as well as klh and a search for both is being attempted. Select only tekhal and it should work as expected.

Instant Details won't show the waw. If you simply right-click on the word, it's going to select the waw as well. You'll need to manually highlight just the part of the word you're interested in.

This.jpg?raw=1

This is exactly what I am doing, but the highlight changes when I right click. There is no way to right click the text and have the highlight stay they way that you have in your first example. Maybe this is the source of the bug.

Before right click

post-35053-0-37263800-1530019204_thumb.jpg

After right click

post-35053-0-64417400-1530019238_thumb.jpg

Instant Details won't show the waw. If you simply right-click on the word, it's going to select the waw as well. You'll need to manually highlight just the part of the word you're interested in.

This.jpg?raw=1

Make sure you're manually selecting tekhal by dragging the cursor across it. If you just click on it to select it, then when you right-click, it will select the waw as well.  

That works, but I think it still should be listed as a bug i.e. what is selected shouldn't change simply by right clicking. If I want to select more than what is currently selected, I should need to drag the cursor. I should not need to drag the cursor to select only what is currently already highlighted.

Make sure you're manually selecting tekhal by dragging the cursor across it. If you just click on it to select it, then when you right-click, it will select the waw as well.  

Hovering over a word, or clicking on it, will always highlight the word, or the attached prefix or suffix, depending on which part of the word you're hovering over or clicking on. That's done so that the Instant Details will only show you the part of the word you're interested in.. However, when you right-click on the word, it always highlights the entire word with any attached prefix or suffix. This is done to make it easier to search for a the entire word form. In some cases, such as when you perform a search in a lexicon, it's more cumbersome, because Accordance is trying to search for the particle (in your example) as well. It's not really a bug, because this was an intentional decision made by the developers. I'm sure they can give you a clearer picture into their thought processes than I can. I'll make sure they're away of this thread.

Hovering over a word, or clicking on it, will always highlight the word, or the attached prefix or suffix, depending on which part of the word you're hovering over or clicking on. That's done so that the Instant Details will only show you the part of the word you're interested in.. However, when you right-click on the word, it always highlights the entire word with any attached prefix or suffix. This is done to make it easier to search for a the entire word form. In some cases, such as when you perform a search in a lexicon, it's more cumbersome, because Accordance is trying to search for the particle (in your example) as well. It's not really a bug, because this was an intentional decision made by the developers. I'm sure they can give you a clearer picture into their thought processes than I can. I'll make sure they're away of this thread.

I would suggest that they should choose either to highlight the whole word and then keep it highlighted when you right click, or highlight a portion and then keep that portion highlighted when you right click. Changing the selection after you right click is neither intuitive, nor consistent with standard GUI practices.

• Like 2

Mike, I'm not experiencing what you are describing.  If I do not have a selection, if I right-click, it selects the word I have clicked.  However, if I deliberately select a portion of the word and right-click, it respects the current selection and does *not* change it.  I agree it would be inconsistent with standard practices if it changed the selection, but I'm not seeing this.  I just tested it on both Mac and PC.  Can you please confirm you are getting different behavior?  Select a few letters of a Hebrew word, then right-click on that portion - does it change your selection?

If I hover over the word, the lexeme under the cursor is selected but when I right click, the entire word is selected; the selection changes.

If I drag across the text, the selection does not change when I right click.

Mike, I'm not experiencing what you are describing.  If I do not have a selection, if I right-click, it selects the word I have clicked.  However, if I deliberately select a portion of the word and right-click, it respects the current selection and does *not* change it.  I agree it would be inconsistent with standard practices if it changed the selection, but I'm not seeing this.  I just tested it on both Mac and PC.  Can you please confirm you are getting different behavior?  Select a few letters of a Hebrew word, then right-click on that portion - does it change your selection?