iOS Tablet Choices - Help Requested

Michael Miles

Hello,

I am an older person and looking at my laptop screen on my lap is beginning to be a bit problematic on my eyes.  That, coupled with my cats trying to take over the keyboard constantly, has me contemplating obtaining an Apple iPad.  My trifocal eyeglass prescription is up to date and my "computer" glasses are a pain in the back pocket.

I do not know much about these devices but I am technically inclined.  My wife just gave me the green light to get one and I came here first to see about what features in a device I might want to consider that would pertain to Accordance use.  Does it matter what iOS tablet I get for Accordance use?  Will one model/feature make Accordance better or easier?

Thank you kindly for your help and input.

Michael

What size is your laptop? For years I have had vario focal lenses in my specs but have given up and gone back to single focal and just take them off for reading. (Short sighted).

It so depends. I like the mid 10” size Retina display as I find it comfortable to hold and it is big enough to have two tools open and the maps and illustrations are fab and the fancy True Tone colour temperature change on the pro at night is ideal.

There is a bigger screen but your cats may fight you. There is a smaller screen but it may be too small if replacing your lap top. Certainly look at retina screens as they are higher resolution but if possible go into a store and spend time holding them.

As to Accordance, you can make fonts the right size for you and depends how much of the time you will have a text and reference tool open but as you can currently only have two tools open, it doesn’t affect what you have. The pro range do let you open up a web site or other tool like notes in addition so the bigger the screen, the easier to read

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

What size is your laptop? For years I have had vario focal lenses in my specs but have given up and gone back to single focal and just take them off for reading. (Short sighted).

I'm usually using a 13" MacBook Air that does not have a retina display.  I have a 15" MacBook Pro with a Retina display but it is too large to put on my lap and have the cats nearby.  I hate having to shove them off.  I love the little rascals.  I have a nice desk that I bought before I became disabled that I seldom use now because I keep my feet elevated to circumvent pain.  Hanging around the recliner is the large portion of my day.  I'll look at the 10" or larger tablets with Retina.  I have an iPhone and the screen is very clear on that device.  Thank you for your help and input.  It is much appreciated.

Michael

• Like 1

This is a screenshot of my 9.7”. The 10.5 is even nicer.

This iPad is never far from my hand and I spend a lot of time in a stressles recliner with foot stool and coffee pot beside me. The weight is right for me to hold it without stress and the pro is thin. My preference is for a four divider case which folds and makes holding comfortable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Four-Fold-PUPiL-Cambridge-England-Handmade-Coco-Dark-Brown/dp/B01IAAEV4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522007097&sr=8-1&keywords=IPad+Pro+pupil+case

My daughter’s cat can be accommodated comfortably with the 9.7”. ;o)

http://www.ekornes.co.uk/stressless-recliners/stressless-view/view-signature

I boot my mbp up about once a week now a days for serous work but most of my reading, surfing and emailing and listening to music is done on my iPad (including monitoring and responding to the forum).

The bigger iPad has a similar size to the air so great for viewing but I wonder how comfortable it would be for you to hold it for. Plus iOS isn’t the same as the full Mac Accordance version so you wouldn’t have so many tools open.

The other descision will be about storage and my Accordance Library is about 6 gig with some large image tools so again, you don’t need to splash out for max size.

post-31185-0-69456600-1522004652_thumb.png

Edited by ukfraser
  • Like 1

One thing to consider is future-proofing. You can opt for a cheaper, non-Pro iPad, but because of the lesser specs you will end up replacing it sooner. Also, I would imagine like most other software Accordance' demands on a system will gradually increase over time. I ended up with 10.5" Pro. Your mileage may vary.

• Like 2

This is a screenshot of my 9.7”. The 10.5 is even nicer.

This iPad is never far from my hand and I spend a lot of time in a stressles recliner with foot stool and coffee pot beside me. The weight is right for me to hold it without stress and the pro is thin. My preference is for a four divider case which folds and makes holding comfortable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Four-Fold-PUPiL-Cambridge-England-Handmade-Coco-Dark-Brown/dp/B01IAAEV4W/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1522007097&sr=8-1&keywords=IPad+Pro+pupil+case

My daughter’s cat can be accommodated comfortably with the 9.7”. ;o)

http://www.ekornes.co.uk/stressless-recliners/stressless-view/view-signature

I boot my mbp up about once a week now a days for serous work but most of my reading, surfing and emailing and listening to music is done on my iPad (including monitoring and responding to the forum).

The bigger iPad has a similar size to the air so great for viewing but I wonder how comfortable it would be for you to hold it for. Plus iOS isn’t the same as the full Mac Accordance version so you wouldn’t have so many tools open.

The other descision will be about storage and my Accordance Library is about 6 gig with some large image tools so again, you don’t need to splash out for max size.

Your taste in recliners and iPad cases is quite rather good.  I have to send my wife a link to that recliner so she can view it.

I would probably decide to just buy the 512GB 10.5" Pro model and then use it to park all of my sermon mp3 files and PDF resources and such that I can link to from the notes.  I have gobs of those types of things.  I also did a 180 degree turn last year on brand L Bible software, so I have a boatload of resources from that I would be able to use.

Thank you for sharing your personal take on this.  I need a coffee pot next to my chair now too.  :-)

Michael

One thing to consider is future-proofing. You can opt for a cheaper, non-Pro iPad, but because of the lesser specs you will end up replacing it sooner. Also, I would imagine like most other software Accordance' demands on a system will gradually increase over time. I ended up with 10.5" Pro. Your mileage may vary.

Hi John,

I am in agreement with you.  If I were to purchase today, I would buy the 10.5" Pro in 512GB with just WiFi as we are looking to move to a more rural location where flip phones are the norm.  I'd be giving up my fiber-optic internet and be going back to DSL, but I'm game.  I understand that there is an Apple event tomorrow and that they might be unveiling new iPads and/or a new pen that has a longer battery life.  So, I'll sit back for a day or two and see what pans out.

Thank you for your help and insight.  I generally over-buy on tech and then keep using it for way longer than others might. 

Kind regards,

Michael

• Like 1

New non pro 9.7” kid on the block! Descisions, descisions.

• 2 weeks later...

Was in an Apple store a few days ago and the new 9.7” looks like a really good option.

Apple helping us save money? The world has gone mad!!!!!!

;o)

Michael – I have an iPad Pro (9.7") purchased nearly 2 years ago, as does my husband.  We use ours all the time for Accordance, Mail, etc..

Beware that it is very likely that there will be new iPad Pros released in June.  We will probably both upgrade to the 10.5" Pros.  The Retina screen makes a difference.  Much crisper display.  The Pro model does more and does it faster.

My husband sees better than I do with correction.  He is near-sighted.  I have an astigmatism plus cataracts.  The better display reduces eyestrain, as does the color shift at sundown.

We upgrade our main computers every 5 years or so & iPads every other year.  

Keep an eye on the MacRumors Buyer's Guide whenever considering an Apple purchase.  

If cost is a factor then the newly released model is the way to go.

If cost and time are not a factor then wait a few months until the next update of Pro's come through