Looking At Accordance--Currently Using TheWord/SwordSearcher

DoosanMan

No, that doesn't seem to make any difference.   I should just hold control down and then press 5 while control is pressed down correct?

Yes that is correct - that is what the help says. I have a Mac not a windows set up - perhaps someone who does can confirm whether this works for them.

I just talked to support and it sounds like the lite version is limiting me on the control shortcut commands.    Yes, my MyCommentary is organized by Biblical references so that might work!

I'm having trouble finding a video or tutorial that simply explains User Notes and User Tools.  Does someone have one they can recommend?   Also am I able to make a user note by a verse, save it and it will show up as a note on all translations?

I found a video and I'm getting the hang of the user notes.   I wanted to edit my last post or delete, but could not figure out how to.   Thanks for your patience with me.   

Deleted. I misread the previous post.

Edited by jarcher

I wanted to edit my last post or delete, but could not figure out how to.

You have about an hour to edit a post before it’s locked. You can request admin to delete it but I would think most of us who use the forum understand where you are coming from so just keep us updated on where you are.

While we are happy users, we also recognise that one size doesn’t fit all and it’s important for you to find the right product especially for such an important part of your life.

;o)

Personally I prefer stacks which is a new feature but not available currently on mobile devices (but live in hope).

https://www.accordancebible.com/resources/multimedia/details/?id=157179

But for me, one of the most important things I value with Accordance is the speed they get things fixed and I see it with the developers being involved on this forum and in some of the background emails I get over reported corrections. (Compare this to another totally different but expensive product I bought where a version was brought out and users were left for two years with a non functioning product and no one from the company monitored or responded on the forum. )

Plus I value the other forum members.

Edited by ukfraser

You have about an hour to edit a post before it’s locked. You can request admin to delete it but I would think most of us who use the forum understand where you are coming from so just keep us updated on where you are.

While we are happy users, we also recognise that one size doesn’t fit all and it’s important for you to find the right product especially for such an important part of your life.

;o)

Personally I prefer stacks which is a new feature but not available currently on mobile devices (but live in hope).

https://www.accordancebible.com/resources/multimedia/details/?id=157179

But for me, one of the most important things I value with Accordance is the speed they get things fixed and I see it with the developers being involved on this forum and in some of the background emails I get over reported corrections. (Compare this to another totally different but expensive product I bought where a version was brought out and users were left for two years with a non functioning product and no one from the company monitored or responded on the forum. )

Plus I value the other forum members.

I'm running the lite version and have watched some videos.   I really believe I would like it.   I've been using SwordSearcher for 10 years.   It's limited to only comparing two translations at once, and there is no mobile platform at all.   I'm also very limited on the number of translations available.   However, SS has a robust library of commentaries and dictionaries.   At this point, it's the cost of Accordance that is keeping me from jumping.   I would need to spend several hundred dollars to get what I have in SwordSearcher.  So it's a decision I will need to make......We have a family of 5 children so it's not like there is unlimited spending money.  I'm seeing a couple modules or books though already that I would love to have already that SS does not have.   So I'm not sure how to go from here.  I'm thinking..........I might buy just the starter collection to get my feet wet.

• Like 1

There are a few 20% off sales on any item during the year, and even better discounts on many individual modules if you wait for them.

If you can’t afford Acc at the moment (many of us have been there), have you tried eSword, which syncs via Dropbox across Windows desktops, or MySword for Android, which has some amazing features for an extra $25 or $50?

There are a few 20% off sales on any item during the year, and even better discounts on many individual modules if you wait for them.

If you can’t afford Acc at the moment (many of us have been there), have you tried eSword, which syncs via Dropbox across Windows desktops, or MySword for Android, which has some amazing features for an extra $25 or $50?

I've tried E-Sword, but I do like Swordsearcher quite a bit better.  It's more polished.   I do have MySword on my phone, but I'm not familiar with their premium features.

Good to know. 

In MySword with the $25 Premium, you can compare more than two Bibles.

I am not sure what you fully have in SWORD but value wise for commercial Bible software Accordance dollar for dollar tends to get you a the best bang for your buck. Now it is true for individual translations some other may be cheaper, but there are various packages that can bring that cost down. I cannot say what is the best value for you, indeed one cheaper method maybe be Olivetree but I doubt it has even the functionality of SWORD although it does have a very good mobile app. I do not think you would regret taking the plunge for basic to try it out. Accordance is one of the best if not the best Bible software out there.. Others may argue for another which likes to think of itself as the cadillac of Bible software but sometimes it feels more like Homer Simpson's design (which for non-simpson's fan looked much like a clown car-- all kind of features but most rather unneeded and/or almost impractical).

-dan

I am not sure what you fully have in SWORD but value wise for commercial Bible software Accordance dollar for dollar tends to get you a the best bang for your buck. Now it is true for individual translations some other may be cheaper, but there are various packages that can bring that cost down. I cannot say what is the best value for you, indeed one cheaper method maybe be Olivetree but I doubt it has even the functionality of SWORD although it does have a very good mobile app. I do not think you would regret taking the plunge for basic to try it out. Accordance is one of the best if not the best Bible software out there.. Others may argue for another which likes to think of itself as the cadillac of Bible software but sometimes it feels more like Homer Simpson's design (which for non-simpson's fan looked much like a clown car-- all kind of features but most rather unneeded and/or almost impractical).

-dan

I can afford the starter version, just not wanting to invest hundreds of dollars............I believe I can upgrade the starter edition later.    I'm leaning that route......

I have been looking for a Bible software that syncs user notes to all my devices and it appears that Accordance does.

Hi again,

I hope you are aware that Accordance for Android is basically brand new, and at the moment you can’t highlight or take notes. But these features are in the works, and eventually Android will have all the features of the iOS version, including notes and syncing.

I do think it will be worth the wait.

Regards,

Michel

Edit: Also, FYI, since you mentioned comparing Bibles, you can compare two Bibles in Accordance for Android right now.

Edited by Michel Gilbert

Hi again,

I hope you are aware that Accordance for Android is basically brand new, and at the moment you can’t highlight or take notes. But these features are in the works, and eventually Android will have all the features of the iOS version, including notes and syncing.

I do think it will be worth the wait.

Regards,

Michel

Edit: Also, FYI, since you mentioned comparing Bibles, you can compare two Bibles in Accordance for Android right now.

Yes, and it what's interesting is that I didn't even know about Accordance until a short while ago.   I had a demo copy of Logos and did not like it.   I have been using SwordSearcher, E-Sword and The Word.

What about importing my user modules from SwordSearcher into Accordance?   I can export them out of SS as HTML files.

There wouldn't be anyway to link the one I have named "My Commentary" which is my personal comments on verses to the Bibles that I am reading in Accordance then?

That is not possible, at least at the moment. You cannot tie a User Tool to a bible so that one moves with the other.

At the moment the only way to get that to happen automatically is by using User Notes, however, there is no automated import for them. The notes are per verse so the only way you could currently do that is copy each verse section from your notes into a user note for that verse. Which would be fine if you only had a few notes to do but would be time consuming for many notes.

Hopefully the possibility to import our own Commentaries, Journals and User Notes from our own html or docx files comes in the next Version of Accordance. Other Bible software allows it since years. But I know I would love to see all other features I requested too...