Notes Best Practices

Clint Cozier

I'm contemplating a transtion from Logos to Accordance as the depository for all my notes. I generally have exegetical notes tied to specific words or phrases in verses, as well as lots of topical notes. Finally, Logos will allow notes that are tied to a lemma, which from time to time is helpful. How would you suggest organizing notes in Accordance? Is a single exegetical notes file enough, or can notes files become too large. I assume, but do not know, that notes can sync to the iOS client which is a significant upside coming from Logos. Are there any considerations if I want to make sure I can always open notes on both the Mac and iOS client? I assume that I can't easily tie a note to a lemma. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

If you create a note based on a verse reference, it will appear with any text or translation of that reference. If you select a word or phrase when creating your note, it will only display with that particular text. 

When you mention that Logos allows you to tie a note to a lemma, does that mean that the note will appear with each instance of that lemma or just in that verse reference? I've added notes in Logos before, but I've not done that, so pardon me asking for more explanation. 

You can sync your notes with iOS via a Dropbox sync. You don't have to have the paid version of Dropbox. The free version is more than enough for syncing Accordance content. 

You can have as many or as few notes files as you want. Accordance notes files are more robust than in Logos in my experience, but you'll have to consider the source. There is a 2 GB limit for notes files in Accordance, but if you're just adding text, you could probably have one notes file for everything. Since I occasionally drop in a custom map or other graphic into my notes, I have a separate one for Biblical texts called "Bible" and another one called "Books" for everything else. I've been adding to my Bible notes for years, and it's only 24 MB--just checked!

Unfortunately you can't at the moment import your Notes all in one action. You have to copy paste for every verse your notes into the Accordance Notes.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

For notes on passages (eg for a bible study) or groups of passages ( eg lectionary readings) I use the brilliant stacks. Unfortunately they don’t currently sync with iOS. (But I’m guessing it’s something on the wish list so not too worried).

If you create a note based on a verse reference, it will appear with any text or translation of that reference. If you select a word or phrase when creating your note, it will only display with that particular text./quote]

I tried selecting a portion of a particular verse but it attaches to all translations. I’m sure I am doing something wrong!

Bob

I tried selecting a portion of a particular verse but it attaches to all translations. I’m sure I am doing something wrong!

Hmm...maybe not anything! Same thing for me when I just now tried to test it. I wonder if this behavior changed at some point, and I didn't realize it? Or maybe I'm just confusing notes with highlighting.