Analysis Graph

jarcher

If I set my range to Ephesians and search for:

*@ [PRONOUN]

Then click the Analysis graph and choose 'Person' from the dropdown menu I don't see any data at all.

Selecting Case, or Number works though.

I believe the person of a pronoun is listed under Subclass.  I'm not the most qualified to answer why, but I believe its because these aspects of a personal pronoun don't apply to other types, such as Intensive, Indefinite, or Adjectival pronouns.  If we listed them under a "Person" tag, then you'd be able to search for a 2nd Intensive pronoun, which doesn't many any sense.

If you do Search -> Enter Tag -> Pronoun, you'll see how the aspects are organized.

One more thing, you can accomplish that same search with just a [PRONOUN].  No need for *@[PRONOUN].

That seems to limit what you can do with the data because the TAG field isn't just a single attribute. You cannot get an aggregate all 3rd person pronoun aggregate count for example. You end up having to add up the component totals or do distinct searches. Or am I missing something ?

Thx

D

I'm not sure what you are saying, Daniel.  If I do [PRONOUN third] it'll find all third person pronouns.  If I do [PRONOUN (third, first, second)], it'll find all personal pronouns.  What's missing?

It will find them but the counts cannot be extracted directly from the analysis with manual addition. It's not necessarily a huge deal depending upon what one is doing with the query results but it is a consequence of the choice in modelling the data that way.

So I cannot search for all pronouns and immediately know counts for each person type.

Thx

D

You can see the counts for each person type with an analysis. Or am I missing something?

Screen%20Shot%202018-01-19%20at%2010.51.

Thanx Mark, that's precisely what I was looking for.  But as usual it raises another question. Doing a quick search I see this :

Total number of verses = 6620
  (total number of verses displayed = 6620)

[ pronoun ] (16243 total words)

Number of different forms = 7:
(Triple-click a form to see its occurrences)

(no Subclass) = 3126
        First = 2700
        Second = 2950
        Third = 5735
        Definite = 1398
        Indefinite = 153
        Intensive = 181

These numbers for each subclass total to 16243 so that makes sense.

I had thought that subclass was a list not a single value field.

But this also means that if I looked for third person pronouns the intensives are not part of that count.

Subclass includes attributes of number, definiteness and intensviness (is that a word ?) in the one value space.

Am I correct in that observation ? Or is subclass a list and the tool is breaking out the numbers by each value and in this case there happens to be no overlap ?

Thx

D

Intensive or Definite pronouns are not personal pronouns, so there are no overlaps.  Subclass is like a radio choice, up to one value is allowed at a time.

• Like 1