BHS or HMT?

Lyndon Drake

I'm setting up a new computer and phone, and have forgotten which I should be using: BHS-T or HMT-W4 for the Hebrew Bible? It looks like HMT lacks the apparatus marks that BHS-T has? Are there other differences too?

HMT-W4 (Hebrew Masoretic Text with Westminster Hebrew Morphology). The complete text of the Hebrew Bible, following the Biblia Hebraica Leningradensis, with the Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.18. This module includes vowel pointing, cantillation marks, and lemma and grammatical tagging information for each word in the text. The text is almost identical to the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia.

BHS-T (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia Tagged). The complete text of the Hebrew Bible, following the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, with the Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.14. This module includes vowel pointing, cantillation marks, and lemma and grammatical tagging information for each word in the text. * * * The BHS Apparatus is included with this purchase, and the text is marked with the sigla for the notations in the apparatus.

The primary differences between these texts is that the BHS-T includes the sigla and apparatus, while the HTM-W4 does not. However, the syntactical database only works with the HMT-W4.

• Like 4

HMT-W4 (Hebrew Masoretic Text with Westminster Hebrew Morphology). The complete text of the Hebrew Bible, following the Biblia Hebraica Leningradensis, with the Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.18. This module includes vowel pointing, cantillation marks, and lemma and grammatical tagging information for each word in the text. The text is almost identical to the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia.

BHS-T (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia Tagged). The complete text of the Hebrew Bible, following the Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia, with the Groves-Wheeler Westminster Hebrew Morphology 4.14. This module includes vowel pointing, cantillation marks, and lemma and grammatical tagging information for each word in the text. * * * The BHS Apparatus is included with this purchase, and the text is marked with the sigla for the notations in the apparatus.

The primary differences between these texts is that the BHS-T includes the sigla and apparatus, while the HTM-W4 does not. However, the syntactical database only works with the HMT-W4.

Ah, I hadn't realised that about the syntax database. Thank you.

The HMT-W4 is our "main" Hebrew text and receives the most updates. 

Edited by Mark Allison

Please may we have a podcast on the original language texts and their differences etc?

• Like 2

Please may we have a podcast on the original language texts and their differences etc?

There may be one floating out there, but I might take up that idea on my YouTube channel. Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 1/18/2018 at 7:39 PM, Mark Allison said:

The HMT-W4 is our "main" Hebrew text and receives the most updates. 

But Accordance lacks at least 2 updates. They are now on 4.22. Mine is still on 4.20. Also the BHS is still on 4.14.

On 1/19/2018 at 1:19 AM, Alistair said:

That is a really good idea - a webinar to cover this...

Mark - any chance?

• Like 1