TDOT

kpang808

Is it worth purchasing this set on sale? Especially if I already have HALOT, BDB, NIDOTTE.

I don’t own halot, but find TDOT very useful. It is very similar to NIDOTTE. I find it quite useful and use it a bit more than NIDOTTE. I do not read Hebrew nor am I an in-depth scholar but that said I find TDOT very useful in gaining insights. The TDOT has been called at times a bit idiosyncratic but I personally feel it is fairly solid in its scholarship and things can always be compared to NIDOTTE if you find something you do not think seems right.

-Dan

PS: I would love to hear what a serious Hebrew scholar has to say.

Thanks for the insights Dan! I would love to hear some other feedback as well before making the investment, especially since Accordance doesn't have a return policy

It's at the very top of my wish list of current Acc offerings. I have a few volumes in paper, otherwise I use the library for now. 

• Like 1

Are you planning on buying it? I am still wondering if I should or shouldn't lol...

When I can afford it, I will. I can't right now.

It's quite technical, used mostly by scholars. There is a ton of information in it not available in the other works you mentioned.

You could check out a copy at a library first.

Regards,

Yeah I think I may be in the same boat as you...may just wait till it goes on sale again

NEW! Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament

Has very little more to add and you are already aware of it, I went back to see if anyone had contributed more on it's importance or quality.

-dan

http://brianwdavidson.com/2016/03/13/tdot-for-accordance-bible-software/

Has a specific Accordance review talking about the importance of this work...

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

NEW! Theological Dictionary of the Old Testament

Has very little more to add and you are already aware of it, I went back to see if anyone had contributed more on it's importance or quality.

-dan

http://brianwdavidson.com/2016/03/13/tdot-for-accordance-bible-software/

Has a specific Accordance review talking about the importance of this work...

Thanks, I forgot about this discussion. I appreciate your helpfulness all the time Dan! 

• Like 1

I own it and it is in my opinion one of the best resources available, depends on how much info you need in a lexicon. BDB is basic and HALOT is better, Dictionary of Classical Hebrew and TDOT have more info on any particular word you are looking at. I think all of these resources have something to offer but BDB and HALOT serve most peoples needs. If you use the TDNT for Greek then you have a pretty example of sort of lexicon TDOT is... worth the investment if you are into deep word studies.

God Bless

• Like 2