Detach > Reattach Tabs

mgvh

I often find that I want to detach a tab to see more of the resource. (Click on the dropdown near the tab title OR, with mouse clicked somewhere in the tab, use CTRL-ALT-T.)

After I'm done reading, I'd like to send that tab back to where it was before, i.e., reattach the tab.

Is there a way to do reattach a tab?

The main reason is that if there is only one tab in a zone, detaching it then resizes all the other zones, and I have to reset everything.

The only thing I've found for now is to first duplicate the tab, then detach one of the tabs, so that when I close the detached one, the duplicate is still there.

Thanks. Mark

You should be able to grab the tab by the title bar area and drag it back to its original location.

Edit: Is it possible you don't see the tab in the new workspace (once detached) because you have "Hide tab area if only a single tab" check in Preference > Workspaces?

Edited by jarcher

Also.. I frequently also like to "see more of the resource" if the tab / workspace area I've amplified to is small. Detaching the tab is certainly one option to do this. However, you may find that "Magnify this zone" is more effective. It basically "zooms in" on workspace (similar to the windows Maximize button). When you're done reading, simply press the icon a second time to return to your previous view.

• Like 1

εὐχαρίστω, jarcher!

I should have thought to try just dragging the tab back to its spot. Works fine.

It took me a while to find how to maximize the tab. I don't see any icon or right-click option, but CTRL-ALT-M works as a toggle in Windows. Super!

Thanks again.

(BTW, where are you in ND? I was a pastor at Hope Lutheran in Fargo from 1992-2002 before I started teaching at the seminary in Gettysburg.)

• Like 1

If it helps, the icon is visible if you are showing the zone area and mouse over that area.

εὐχαρίστω, jarcher!

I should have thought to try just dragging the tab back to its spot. Works fine.

It took me a while to find how to maximize the tab. I don't see any icon or right-click option, but CTRL-ALT-M works as a toggle in Windows. Super!

Thanks again.

(BTW, where are you in ND? I was a pastor at Hope Lutheran in Fargo from 1992-2002 before I started teaching at the seminary in Gettysburg.)

Glad it worked! It's great to find new tricks that improve our productivity. 

I'm in West Fargo. Great to hear from another from up here! I have some friends and distant family that go to Hope Lutheran. 

If it helps, the icon is visible if you are showing the zone area and mouse over that area.

Ah ha! I see it now there in the upper left when, as you say, I hover the mouse over the zone area at the top. And then I see the de-magnify option in the same spot when I want to return to normal.

Thanks!

Edited by mgvh
  • Like 1