WJKP Libraries are finally here!!!!

Daniel  Francis

https://www.accordancebible.com/blog/index.html

Bit surprised to not see an announcement here yet... 

I am very happy to have this finally...

post-29263-0-80565700-1508267193_thumb.jpg

-dan

Bit surprised to not see an announcement here yet... 

Nag, nag, nag. Forums always get the announcement last, but it's there now. 

I know just was too excited to wait... Emails and blog are of course the most important... and since I blew my budget everyone else needs to know of the joyous reason..LOL

-dan

PS: Was sort of expecting this cost as I had it on prepub with another company but not as many volumes as you have, fortunately there is at this point a little wiggle room in my book budget.

Edited by Daniel Francis
  • Like 1

For the uninitiated (e.g me), this is a set of reasonably highly regarded (and in some cases a little bit dated) critical commentaries: see below.

post-101-0-54476400-1508273342_thumb.png

post-101-0-63173000-1508273366_thumb.png

NB [PS] indicates these are deemed to be most suitable:

[P] for theologically trained pastors and seminarians;

for advanced students and scholars.

The author suggests they are not suitable [L] for educated laypeople, such as the Bible study leader.

Taken from Evans, John F. A guide to biblical commentaries and reference works (10e) (2016)

Carson in New Testament commentary survey (7e) comments favourably on a number of these volumes, as does Longman in Old Testament commentary survey (5e).

On the whole the series tends to be tagged as suitable for scholars/seminarians and researchers rather than laypersons or pastors.

You can also see more about this series here: 

https://www.bestcommentaries.com/series/old-testament-library-otl/

and 

https://www.bestcommentaries.com/series/new-testament-library-ntl/

HTH

Edited by Alistair
  • Like 1

Alistair, in the uk, some of this series are available in kindle so you can download samples to get a feel of them by reading larger portions of text. So it should be available in other countries. (I am in no way suggesting you actually purchase the kindle version! Accordance every time!!!!!!)

I really am not a great fan of best commentaries. Useful to see what is available but thats about it for me (always have a big jar of salt avilable)!

With the last sale of 25% off an item, i was looking at other romans commentaries but while they allocate a % score, there is no indication of how that is derived (compare it to-other reviews like camera lenses or guitars or cars where you get an indication of how the rating relatesto different factors). The individual reviews didnt appear to support the score and other reviewers seem to be at variance with the site as well.

Edited by ukfraser

Hi Fraser,

I did the research because I don't know this series, but I learnt enough to decide that I don't need it.

I also don't put much faith in the best commentaries web site but included it for the sake of completeness, and it gets referenced elsewhere in this forum. This site feels bit like Metacritc or RottenTomatoes in that it aggregates other reviews and scores or ranks them, rather than offering its own in-depth reviews.

That's why I purchased the books by Evans, Carson and Longman. I have scanned them and OCRed them so I can now search for an author, commentary or series in a matter of seconds, and get a more complete idea of what a book or series has to offer, based on stated criteria. Much more useful to me that way. 

I also like to read sample sections, the larger the better, and dont have access to libraries which stock these sort of resources so always happy when i can find samples on line.

Edited by ukfraser

I had a couple volumes given away in FL and found them very good. Was quite surprised they were not more widely used, I will admit some volumes may seem dated but some of the older ones are actually still very good. To me this seemed to be a very overlooked series with many great contributors.

-dan