Should Tech Support Shun TeamViewer?

Enoch

I am happy that Accordance is so gracious in allowing me to add Accordance to my new Windows 10 laptop.  Notwithstanding, I found the process a bit stressful.  After downloading Acc 12, I found there were 4 modules that had upgrades; but the system refused to upgrade them, advising me to contact Tech Support. After some difficulty in finding the phone number, I got through to a gentleman in Florida who wanted me to install TeamViewer. After a number of addtional unsuccessful attempts eventually the upgrades were installed -- apparently the solution to the problem was just trying many times.

After upgrading, the tech was unable to show me how to get TeamViewer out of my computer.  I poked around myself & Googled to find how to uninstall TeamViewer, even going to the software site -- with no success.  The Windows uninstall program in Control Panel did not show TeamViewer in the list of programs, neither did it show among the applications list.  Contrary to online advice, it did not appear under \Program Files . . . .  Neither could I find efficacious instructions on the TeamViewer website.  I wasted time trying to use the Windows search program (why is it that Windows no longer provides an easy to use intuitive program for searching one's own computer for files and folders?)  I called Accordance Tech support again & was advised to reboot my computer (which gave me no detectable help).

Finally I found TeamViewer by using the Task Manager, hidden under C:\users\me\AppData\Local\Temp\TeamViewer.  There in the \TeamViewer folder there was uninstall.exe!  So I ran uninstall from Command Prompt & got rid of a lot of it.  I deleted the rest of the stuff & ran RmDir.  For some reason after I ran RmDir for \TeamViewer, the higher level folders also disappeared (\AppData\Local\Temp were gone), leaving C:\users\me.

I have the idea that a program like TeamViewer might enable a hacker to take over my computer.  And I found it wasted a lot of time.  But I do appreciate that Accordance Tech Support wanted to help me.

The use of TeamViewer and other similar applications in tech support scenarios is very common. Additionally, TeamViewer has quite a few benefits that make is a more secure choice than some of the other remote support applications used today.

The easiest way to remove an application from Windows 10 is by pressing the Windows key and searching for "Add or remove programs" then pressing enter. This should then open a new application window that lists all currently installed applications with the option to click the one in question and uninstall it. I would highly recommend this process in the future. Manually deleting the folder that contains the application can produce a lot of issues that will cause future headaches.

And as always, if you need a hand ping the forums. I'm sure there are people here who are willing to help, even with things like uninstalling TeamViewer.

• Like 1

I think the OP was saying that he tried "Add or Remove Programs," and it didn't list TeamViewer. I tested it myself, and he's right. I followed the path he outlined and sure enough, TeamViewer was still there on my Windows 10 PC, and for me there was no unininstall available.

This is interesting. I had some very good help from Accordance support a month or more ago, and TeamViewer was used. But I admit it's disturbing that this program is embedded in such a way that it is not easy to see, and hard to uninstall using conventional Windows 10 tools. Perhaps this also is and advantage to avoid hackers, I don't know, but it might be helpful if there was some response by Accordance regarding this issue.

You can try using a third-party uninstaller, like Revo Uninstaller. I've just checked the program list in Revo, and TeamViewer 12 (12.0.78716) is visible in the list among the other installed programs.

I had a situation where I had to use the Mac version of TV. I am constantly trying and testing programs so I have a couple of uninstaller apps, so getting rid of it afterwards wasn't a problem.

However I suggest that the OakTree tech support team give full instructions to customers in how to delete/uninstall/remove/disable TeamViewer. A one page crib sheet in PDF format should suffice, which contains a step-by-step guide to removing the installed files.

This needs to be a responsibility that Oak Tree owns. Having to use a second third-party app to remove the first one is a bit lame IMHO.

Edited by Alistair

Odd. I've been using TeamViewer for years. It is listed on my 'Add or Remove Programs' list. It is possible that it was installed in a different way.

I have noticed one or two apps being installed in AppData.

Checking on the web it appears that this can occur when the user chooses to install an App for themselves only rather than for all users. Installing for all users will go into Program Files or Program Files(x64) and will require admin permissions to install.

Not knowing how each of the TV installs was done I can't if this is the reason here but it might be.

Thx

D

I'm guessing it is the QuickSupport version that is being used, not the full client (hence, not appearing in the installed programs list).

The use of TeamViewer and other similar applications in tech support scenarios is very common. Additionally, TeamViewer has quite a few benefits that make is a more secure choice than some of the other remote support applications used today.

The easiest way to remove an application from Windows 10 is by pressing the Windows key and searching for "Add or remove programs" then pressing enter. This should then open a new application window that lists all currently installed applications with the option to click the one in question and uninstall it. I would highly recommend this process in the future. Manually deleting the folder that contains the application can produce a lot of issues that will cause future headaches.

And as always, if you need a hand ping the forums. I'm sure there are people here who are willing to help, even with things like uninstalling TeamViewer.

It tried your Windows Key idea, and it did not work.  The TeamViewer was not on the list!

I have noticed one or two apps being installed in AppData.

Checking on the web it appears that this can occur when the user chooses to install an App for themselves only rather than for all users. Installing for all users will go into Program Files or Program Files(x64) and will require admin permissions to install.

Not knowing how each of the TV installs was done I can't if this is the reason here but it might be.

Thx

D

I am the only user of that computer.  I don't recall getting a choice as to only self vs all users.  I realize that it makes the tech support guy's work easier, but I don't think it was really necessary to solve my installation problem (which I think was not solved by tech support, but only by trying it like 6 times).  There is something about Accordance 12 which has made it hard to install, even on a Mac.  On one of my macs after downloading the DMG, I could not get Acc 12 to install.  I have already got the list of hoops to jump through on this; so some day I may get around to installing 12 on that computer.  I don't suppose Accordance could make a version for DOS 3.3, and I could go back to that.

I'm guessing it just did it by default then Enoch.

So this is interesting : https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/TeamViewer-12/How-to-install-TeamViewer-on-Windows-7-8-and-10/td-p/7941but it only covers the expected all user or single user installs. I suspect Jarcher is right that it's the QuickSupport version.

My guess is the following. Temp is for temporary files. Once they are no longer in use they can be removed. This is a common practice on many OSs including OSX. My guess is that the temp install is intended to simply be cleaned up when temp files are removed or the disk is cleaned. If this is the plot then they really cannot make the program known to Windows program management or the registry because later Temp file deletion will not know about those things, which would result in a partial uninstall.

This post seems to confirm that theory though it's not from TV : https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/78063-how-remove-delete-teamviewer-computer.html

As to Acc 12 being tricky to install I cannot recall having any major difficulties doing it.

DOS 3.3 is gonna hurt the GUI :)

Thx

D

TeamViewer is used by Fake IT support scammers to gain access and install other software on the victim's computer.  Be very careful in allowing this app to be installed on your computer.  I would never allow it or any other app to be installed by a third-party on my computer to gain remote access.

TeamViewer is used by Fake IT support scammers to gain access and install other software on the victim's computer.  Be very careful in allowing this app to be installed on your computer.  I would never allow it or any other app to be installed by a third-party on my computer to gain remote access.

Tim, I'm pretty certain we only link to the actual TeamViewer website for install downloads. I would agree that downloading it anywhere else would be risky.

While it is true that TeamViewer has been abused in the way that Tim is describing it is also true that virtually every other similar program has also been abused in this way.

However, there are some really important distinctions that need to be made here. The issue is NOT with TeamViewer or the use of TeamViewer.

Abuse of these types of programs is VERY rarely someone "hacking your computer" because you had it installed. Nearly all instances of abuse using such programs are instances were the victim is socially engineered into allowing an unknown third party to connect to your system with your permission. Usually the abuse is proceeded by either a phone call or a message appearing on your browser indicating there is an issue with your computer. The attacker then convinces the victim to install the remote access software and then with the permission of the victim, takes over the computer remotely.

No one is "getting hacked" here. This is a simply trick that, unfortunately, abuses the trust of the victim. 

(Source: I'm a professional "hacker" and do security audits as my real job. We attempt to "hack" into company's computers and networks then tell them what's wrong.)

Edited by jarcher
  • Like 6

We are comfortable using Teamviewer to assist our customers. We do carry a business license for its use. We have investigated and believe that the risk is minimal. However we do recommend using the Download Free for friends and family version which can easily be uninstalled from the control Panel. The QuickSupport version which claims not to install the software is the one that leaves behind files that are hard to locate.

Our Support staff will always be happy to assist anyone with issues with this.

• Like 2