Module of OT Manuscript Variants?

Brett K.

From what I can tell, the BHS Apparatus module provides the variant manuscripts for each applicable verse. Are there any other modules (or books) that do the same but more in the style of Comfort's or Metzger's text commentaries? They list the variants and discuss the issues.

Is the BHS apparatus thorough in covering all of the variants?

Thanks

--

Brett

• Like 1

The following resources include some discussion of textual variants:

BHQ

Hebrew University Bible Edition

Hebrew Bible Critical Edition

Preliminary and Interim Report on the Hebrew OT Text Project

Textual Criticism and the Translator Series

"Textual Commentary on the Book of Ruth" in OT Textual Criticism: A Practical Introduction by Ellis R. Brotzman and Eric J. Tully

Lexham Textual Notes on the Bible

Bible commentaries like:

ICC

HERM 

WBC 

AYB

UBS Handbooks

NET Notes

Edited by Emanuel Cardona

Brett,

When completed, BHQ will be the successor to BHS. The apparatus in BHQ is more detailed than BHS, and BHQ includes a commentary on the critical apparatus which discusses in greater detail many of the variants. The only problem with BHQ is it is not finished yet. I remember when they said it would be completed in 2010.

You can read more about the project here.

https://www.academic-bible.com/en/home/current-projects/biblia-hebraica-quinta-bhq/

Accordance has some of the volumes that have been published, but not all of them. There is a sale on BHQ which ends today.

https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=BHQ

A.D. 

• Like 1

I remember when they said it would be completed in 2010.

Are you sure? On https://www.die-bibel.de/shop/bibelstudium/wissenschaftliche-bibelausgaben/hebraeisch/biblia-hebraica-quinta-bhq-5273 it is written it should be finished in 2020. And then add the time for OakTree to develop the modules.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

Fabian,

Yes, I am 100% certain that "I remember when they said it would be completed in 2010."

But wait, I also remember a few years later when they said it would be completed by 2015.

And now, they say it will be complete in 2020.

Moral of the story? Do not hold your breath. It could be finished in 2020, or 2025, or 2030…

A.D.

• Like 4

I can barely imagine what all goes into publishing a BHQ volume. I'd be happy if the set were completed by 2050!

• Like 1

I'd be happy if the set were completed by 2050!

I'll turn 83 in 2050, so I hope it's before then.

Of course in 2050, Accordance may just be a chip in our brain to which we can download the entire BHQ and have instantaneous recall of anything in it!

• Like 2