Linking User Tools

revschaef

I have been using two user tools in tandem: Pickthall's English translation of the Qur'an and an Arabic text of the Qur'an I created as a user tool myself.

It would be helpful to be able to link the tools for cross referencing, that is, clicking on a verse of the Arabic and seeing the corresponding verse in English and vice versa. I have been successful to some degree and have been able to add links in the Arabic text that will match with a corresponding verse in the English (I use a resource link and a search for the verse reference). But can't do it in the opposite direction for some reason. Instead I get an error message that "The characters in this hyperlink are invalid or ambiguous." However, I have used precisely the same process in the English > Arabic direction as I have in the Arabic > English.  

(See attached screen caps)

Alternatively, is there a way to edit these tools in another editor in which one might place anchors or other referents in a target text? Or is this something I will need to request in the "Feature Request" forum?

Thanks for any help you can give.

post-34455-0-23563700-1496685927_thumb.png

post-34455-0-72383700-1496685935_thumb.png

post-34455-0-55050100-1496685948_thumb.png

I believe it has to do with the use of periods in your markers.  I believe you can get around them by searching for "2 * 255" instead of "2.255", but it may be easiest to use an underscore or other marker instead.  If you are able to provide the User Tools, I can play around with them a bit.

Thank you. I tried "2*255" which yielded a "The selected word cannot be found..." error, and "2 * 255" which took me to the top of the text (1.1). 

How do I go about getting you the User Tools? 

Just compress them in a zip and upload here, or if you are concerned about protecting their content, I can send you my e-mail address.

No, it's not that, I just can't figure out how to upload them here. I don't see the option in the toolbar. 

If you click the 'More Reply Options', you'll see Attachment options for the post - that should work!

This worked for me, did it not for you?

Screen Shot 2017-06-05 at 4.44.33 PM.png

No. It didn't. That's the mystery. That process worked going from the Arabic to the English, but when I went the other way around, I would keep getting that error message that the reference was "Ambiguous"

Ah, I see the problem.  In the Arabic Quran tool, your "1.1" reference is marked as a Title, not Content.  All of the other numbers should work just fine.  You need to either have the 1.1 link point to the Title field, or move it to the Contents portion of your tool.

Hmmm. This is perplexing. I've done that--adjusted the first link for title and the remaining for content--and I still get the same error. 

I've made a video of what I've been trying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO5k0jYLHtw

In it, I:

(1) Attempt to remove the title tag from the Arabic Quran without success

(2) Add links to verse 1.1 aimed at "title" (error message)

(3) Add link to verse 2.1 aimed at "content" (error message)

(4) Add link to verse 2.62, using "2*62" as the search field (returns wrong search results)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Hmmm. This is perplexing. I've done that--adjusted the first link for title and the remaining for content--and I still get the same error. 

I've made a video of what I've been trying: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO5k0jYLHtw

In it, I:

(1) Attempt to remove the title tag from the Arabic Quran without success

(2) Add links to verse 1.1 aimed at "title" (error message)

(3) Add link to verse 2.1 aimed at "content" (error message)

(4) Add link to verse 2.62, using "2*62" as the search field (returns wrong search results)

Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

For the many links to set I would love to have this improvements. https://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/21132-user-tool-links-improvements/

Greetings

Fabian

• Like 1

Regarding your 4 steps:

1) Every tool must have a title, so you can't 'remove' the first one.  You should add a line above it, perhaps titling the tool so that can be the title instead of '1.1'.  For organizational sake, you probably should do that each chapter, but that is up to you.

2+3) Remember, you can't put in "2.1" directly, you need to do "2 * 1".

4) You need to include spaces around the asterisk (*) mark.  The search you specified (2*63) is searching for a single word, like 2063 or 2a63, not a sequence of words.

The only downside to the "2 * 1" approach is the instant details will show inaccurate information, as it isn't designed for complex (wildcard and other) searches.  Clicking the link will still be correct, but not the instant preview.  If you want the instant details correct, you need to use verse numbers in the Arabic Quran like you do in the English, like 's1v1'.

It sounds like I'll just have to start over from scratch with the Arabic text. I can do sophisticated find/replaces in Word—I did that already with the Pickthall converting 2.1 to "s2v1"—so I'll edit it there and reimport as a new tool. That may be the easiest thing.