SALE! 7 Commentaries, 7 Study Bibles

R. Mansfield

7 DAYS, 7 COMMENTARIES, 7 STUDY BIBLES! Round out your Accordance Bible Software Library with this week's specials!

COMMENTARIES:

STUDY BIBLE NOTES (can be paired with any biblical text or translation):

Special sale prices on the titles featured above cannot be combined with other discounts and will end on June 5, 2017, at 11:59 PM EDT.

For more information, please see today's blog post!
  • Like 1

Anyone care to give a review of JSB?

I will bite, while ukfraser will be much better at extolling the figures of the JSB, I will say it is far more than many study bibles , but is a the equivalent of a small commentary. I find it to be full of unique information.. I say unique in that it comes from a non christian view point it gives us ideas that seem at first foreign to non Hebraic people. This sample I share is not one that is overly in depth but it does contain interesting ideas that offer different insights to us who follow Christ. Our Jewish fathers and mothers in faith have much to offer and I am very glad to own this Study Bible... I only hope that Accordance will bring us the 2nd edition of the the JSB soon... it has been expanded to be 140% larger than the original and the examples I have seen are impressive. My desire for the 2nd edition however in no way should suggest that the original is not a very fine work worth owning, I own it in Accordance and hard cover and indeed do not own the 2nd edition of the JSB, but I look forward to the day that I can purchase it in Accordance even if I have to purchase the 2nd edition at full price.

_________________________________________________________________________________________
45:1–25: The universal God. This speech focuses on the Persian king Cyrus as the tool through whom God brings salvation not only to Israel but to the whole world. After Cyrus allows the exiles to return to Jerusalem, peoples the world over will recognize the LORD’S faithfulness to the covenant made with Israel, and consequently they will join Israel in worshipping the one true God.

1-8: An address to Cyrus, the liberator. God speaks directly to Cyrus, who does not understand the true nature of his role.

1-3: Cyrus’s victories are summarized.

1: His anointed one, Heb “mashiaḥ,” often translated as “Messiah.” It is striking that this term is used of Cyrus, and not of the ideal Davidic king, but according to Deutero-Isaiah, a Davidic king does not play a significant role in the expected restoration (see 55:3 n.).

4-8: God did not give Cyrus these great victories for Cyrus’s sake. Rather, the purpose of Cyrus’s rise to power is twofold: to liberate Israel, and thus to spread the fame of the one true God of Israel throughout the world.

7: This v. is quoted at the beginning of the morning service (immediately after the Barekhu or call to prayer), where the word woe (or “evil”) is replaced with the euphemism, “everything.”

9-13: Objection and response. People (either the Judeans themselves or perhaps the nations of the world) are surprised by God’s plan to bring salvation to the exiles by means of a Persian king. God rebukes them for their chutzpah in questioning the means through whom God chose to work. Cf. Isa. 10:15; 29:14–21.

13: The exiles will not have to pay any price to Cyrus to gain their liberation. Rather (as the next v. makes clear) God will personally reward the Persian king.

14-17: Cyrus’s reward. God again addresses Cyrus (so Ibn Ezra), describing the vast territories he will receive for restoring Zion. Cf. 43:3.

14: Nubia is the area south of Egypt, often referred to as Ethiopia in most Bible translations (it was probably closer to today’s Sudan). Sabaites were residents of an area south of Egypt. Only among you is God, better, “Indeed, through you God [has worked].” Even far–off nations realize that the God who worked through Cyrus, the God of Israel, is the one true deity. Alternatively (and contrary to the quotation marks in NJPS), these words may be spoken by God to Cyrus, rather than by the African nations.

18-25: Universal recognition of the LORD. The vv. again rely on the argument from prophecy, which Deutero-Isaiah uses to show the whole world that the LORD is the true master of history. The predictions made to earlier Israelite prophets were not secret, but were made public long ago.

23: The nations of the world are invited to share in the worship of the true God and the benefits it brings.

25: Israel’s vindication leads other nations to worship the LORD as well. The mixture of nationalism and universalism here is noteworthy: A universalist outcome results from a particularist victory.

Adele Berlin, Marc Zvi Brettler, and Michael A. Fishbane, eds. The Jewish Study Bible. Accordance electronic ed. (Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2004), paragraph 5847.

accord://read/JSB#5847 

__________________________________________________________________________________________
emphasis of bolding mine.

-dan
  • Like 1

Totally agree with dan,

It is well worth getting (even if accordance get 2nd edition in the future as you will have had the benefit of this).

I am pleased that both the jsb and jewish annotated nt are recommended on some of our anglican ordination courses.

For me, the essays in both volumes are worth the cost of the book alone but not having a friendly jew i can talk to about how they interpret the scriptures, the study notes offer a different perspective. There are over 250 pages of essays alone in the jsb.

I am a great fan of study bibles as they give a very succinct entry into the text and the jsb and jant are two of my most used.

Jewish study bible on leviticus

19:1–37: Holiness of individuals. Commands pertaining to virtually every area of Israelite life; there is no such thing as a command pertaining merely to relations between human beings (“ben ʾadam laḥavero”); every commanded or prohibited action affects the sacred realm and is in the category of laws between God and human beings (“ben ʾadam lamakom”). The ch expresses this by presenting an admixture of laws from every sphere—from worship to fairness in commerce, from legal proceedings to reverence for the Temple, from idolatry and the avoidance of pagan practices to family relations, from the use of the name of God in oaths to support for the needy, from the sanctity of first fruits to theft and fraud—all on equal footing; punctuating the separate paragraphs with the repeated refrain I am the LORD or I the LORD am your God, which is approximately equivalent to “because I, the Lord, say so.” The opening and closing vv. (2 and 37) provide the key to meaning: You shall be holy, for I, the LORD your God, am holy (v. 2):You shall faithfully observe all My laws and all My rules: I am the LORD (v. 37). These vv. resemble two that occur alongside each other in the next ch, 20:7–8. Only through faithful observance of God’s commands can the Israelite fulfill the sacred charge of being holy. This is repeated in Num. 15:39–40, recited every morning and evening as part of the Shema prayer, where the function of the fringe on the tallit is that one may “look at it and recall all the commandments of the Lord and observe them. . . . Thus you shall be reminded to observe all My commandments and be holy to your God.” Through this miscellany of laws H expresses the idea that through the performance of all commanded deeds and the avoidance of all prohibited actions, all Israelites are able to absorb the effusion of the divine Presence in their midst (see 6:11) and be holy. A number of rabbinic and modern interpreters, noting that the prohibitions of idolatry (v. 4), theft and falsehood (v. 11), and false witness (v. 12), along with the command to keep the Sabbath and to revere one’s mother and father (v. 3), are included in this collection, have suggested that this ch is the Priestly version of the Decalogue (see Exod. ch 20; Deut. ch 5). This is unlikely. The Priestly literature is completely unfamiliar with the Decalogue tradition; there is no logical explanation for the missing commands; and the six scattered parallels are outweighed by the remainder of ch 19, which does not resemble the Decalogue at all

2: You shall be holy, for I, the LORD your God, am holy: This is the caption; what follows is its elaboration. Later interpreters often took it as a general command to emulate divine attributes such as compassion and forgiveness (“imitatio dei”). But “holy” in the Bible does not refer to superior moral qualities. God’s holiness is His essential “otherness,” His being separate from all that is not divine; humans are not called upon to be holy in this sense (the text does not say “as I am holy”). Holiness in humans, as in time, space, objects, and speech, is the state of belonging to the deity, being designated God’s “personal” property. In the non–Priestly tradition Israel is holy simply by virtue of having been chosen (see Exod. 19:5–6; Deut. 7:6; 14:2, 21). In Priestly thought, holiness is the desired result of an effusion of God’s immanent Presence (see Exod. 29:43), which, according to H, Israel must actively absorb by performing the commandments.

3: The legislative part of the ch leads with a command pertaining to the ethical realm, reverence for parents, alongside one obviously belonging to the sacred sphere, the Sabbath, together with the formulaic I the LORD am your God. Revere: The Rabbis correctly sensed that this differs from “honor” in Exod. 20:12 and Deut. 5:16; the Decalogue refers to the do’s; this v. refers to the don’ts. And keep My sabbaths, see 23:3.

5–8: See 7:11–21. This refers to the well–being offerings of the votive and freewill types (see 7:16–18; 22:21–23). The third type of well–being offering, that of thanksgiving (see 7:12–15) is mentioned in 22:29–30, marking the close of this section of H (chs 19–22)

Compared with esv study bible

19:1–37 Call to Holiness. In ch. 19 the Lord strongly commands the people (including the priests) to become holy in their practice, as he is holy (v. 2). One becomes practically holy by observing all the following negative and positive commandments. Some of the commandments in vv. 3–18 are similar to the Ten Commandments (Ex. 20:2–17), and the topics in this chapter show that holiness must be practiced in every sphere of one’s life. Some of the rules are grounded in the fact that the Lord is the One who saved the Israelites from the bondage in Egypt. Many of these rules (e.g., Lev. 19:9–18) are oriented toward the Israelites’ functioning as a loving community, serving one another’s well-being.

19:1–4 Holiness here refers first and foremost to the essential nature of God. The term holy means “set apart, unique, and distinct,” and holiness in humans ordinarily refers to their being set apart for service to God (see note on Isa. 6:3). Human holiness is the imitation of God, i.e., becoming and acting like him.

You can get aflavour of the sort of essays from the index of the second edition (it has about 20 more and some of the authors have changed but i cant add images to this official thread or pm).

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-jewish-study-bible-9780199978465?cc=us&lang=en

Heads up! Prices on Lenski & Catholicl Commentary have been reduced even further, mid-sale!

For more information, see yesterday's blog post!
  • Like 2

Heads up! This sale ends at midnight tonight EDT!