Using Old Manually Imported Modules

jarcher

I have an old CD with some modules on it that I'd like to use. I'm able to rename the modules to .atext and open them manually. After this, they appear in my library under "Other Books". However, I am unable to double-click / search them after this as Accordance doesn't seem to remember their location on my system. When attempting to open the module it prompts me for a dialog box looking for the module location.

I'm wonder if there is a better / easier way to do this or if I simply need to do this each time.

Edit w/ Resolution: 

I was able to get this working by copying the files from the CD to my Mac's Tools folder and then opening Accordance and opening each individual module one at a time. Then I ran Easy Install to update the modules to the latest version. From here I copied the newly updated modules from my Mac to my Window's Tools folder and again, opened each one of them one at a time. They now are permanently in my library and don't disappear every time I open Accordance. 

I did notice that the newly updated modules had a .atool extension. It could have been that using that extension originally would have fixed the issue.

Thanks all for the help!

Edited by jarcher

Best you contact the sales of Accordance, they can activate for you to download in the easy install.

Greetings

Fabian

Thank you, Fabian. This particular module is no longer available for sale. As a result, if I'm going to be able to download the content I have to first upgrade it to the newer version.

The fact that it's no longer available for purchase will not, in itself, keep you from being able to install it though Easy Install. I would recommend contacting customer service. They will be able to tell you if that specific product can be added to your account for download.

• Like 1

Thanks, Julie. I was told that I cannot download it by customer service. They told me I must upgrade.

Just how old a version of Accordance are you running?

This is the Theological Journal Library Version 5.  I'm running Accordance 12.

Ah, it's the resources that need updating, not the program. I understand now.

Yes, I'm afraid that Customer Service is right. You will need to update that to run it in Accordance 12.

Well, I'm not entirely sure that's correct Dr. J as I can open the modules with Accordance 12. They just don't get "added" to my library permanently (with the exception of one of the journals). Maybe that's what you mean.

For what it's worth.. it is disappointing that some purchases you make for Accordance become unusable over time. It certainly makes me somewhat concerned about making new purchases. This is the third time this has happened to me. In fact, just this week I upgraded my MT/LXX module because I couldn't use it anymore. I've always felt upgrades should be optional, not mandatory.  While I'm somewhat sympathetic to the MT/LXX module as it functionally changed the theological journals are merely library texts. What's to prevent Accordance from making my newly purchased module unusable in the future and forcing an upgrade to use content I already bought?

Thanks!

Edited by jarcher

One of the upsides of technology is that the hardware and software keep becoming more powerful.  One of the downsides is that everything needs updating.  We update an OS, and apps need updating.  An app is updated, and its "stuff" needs updating.  And the ports and peripherals keep changing, too.  

We could stick with books – but even those need updating (new editions with corrections or more content).  But we can't do with books what we can achieve with software.

The eternal state won't need updating.  Until then, I think this is just something I'm going to have to learn to live with.  I'm not wild about it, either, but try to focus on the "up" side of things.  I'm old enough to remember punching cards and handing them to a technician to run the computer program …  As annoying as this can be, believe me, it's much better than where I started out.

Thanks, Julia. I agree.  :-)

I love Accordance enough to put up with these occasional frustrations. And on some occasions (like the MT/LXX) am willing to pay the extra to keep things going.

Interestingly enough.. when I manually copy the modules from the CD to the Tools directory on my Mac and open them from there they do remain in my library. This allowed me to conduct the search I need and find the article I wanted! So.. all is well. I'm not sure why they don't get permanently added to my library on my windows machine but that's trouble for another day.

Grace to you

• Like 1

I was able to get this working by copying the files from the CD to my Mac's Tools folder and then opening Accordance and opening each individual module one at a time. Then I ran Easy Install to update the modules to the latest version. From here I copied the newly updated modules from my Mac to my Window's Tools folder and again, opened each one of them one at a time. They now are permanently in my library and don't disappear every time I open Accordance. 

Edited by jarcher
  • Like 3

Nice!