Searching problems with my MAC and Accordance

Fabian

Hello 

I'm on the search to find out why Accordance is often so slow on my Mac. Which I had since I have Accordance. I started with the 10th from the MacApp Store.

I found out, that Safari get slower if its open over 2h. Then I have to quit and restart. 

But also if Accordance is running and I was in Safari for over 2h, and I go back to Accordance the scroll is unusable. The search runs fast, but the scroll only start the beachball. So I have to  quit Accordance too and restart. No other Apps has this behaviour. 

I see now after Accordance is running the whole day it needs 1.95 GB of my 4 GB RAM. Maybe I have to buy a stronger Mac. After a restart it needs only 200 MB.

And https://accordancebible.com for the forums here needs 253 MB.

What I see is also that Accordance 12.0.3 only 32bit. The only one in the list. Should it not have been 64bit since 11.2? When comes 64bit with full unicode? 

It is also after Safari and MS office the most energy hungry App.

Maybe I have to much modules for my MacAir, but all other does always say they had never problems with the system hunger of Accordance. Am I the only one? A clean install of Sierra hadn't bring any improvements.

Edited by Fabian

The 'proper' version (i.e. non-MAS) of Accordance is 32-bit.,, I don't know about a 64-bit version.

I'm guessing there is some system junk slowing down your Mac.

I suggest you do all the normal things in such circumstances, e.g. antivirus/malware scans, download Onyx or similar and clean preferences, run routine tasks, etc. Try CleanMyMac from MacPaw, to clean out caches and junk files etc. Look on MacUpdate.com for help in finding free or cheap programs. Check for daemons (invisible programs that run in the background). Look for items in startup folders.

Try an OS system upgrade from the MAS, and at worst do a complete backup and a clean install. Then do incremental reinstalls from your backup, I suggest fresh downloads and installs of programs and copy documents from the backup. Hopefully that won't be necessary though.

• Like 1

Hey Fabian,

Lots of possibilities here. I'll toss a few not quite random comments in and see if anything helps.

I'm not seeing a slow down over time that is noticeable. I pretty much only do searches in syntax and Greek and Hebrew texts, grammars and lexica. More rarely I search in tools historical like tools. I do not use things like the info pane or commentaries much at all.

What operations are you doing mostly in Accordance ?

4GB is not a lot - I have 12 GB in Mac desktop and 8GB in my windows laptop.

Memory measurement is a tricky thing to get right. There are differing numbers available. To know exactly what they mean requires knowing exactly where you got the number and what it is called in the tool you got it from. So to that end where did you get the 200MB and 1.95GB numbers ?

My exe is 32 bit - i386. There is no inherent relationship between 32 or 64 bit and Unicode support. You can do it either way. The main issue with 64 bit relates to the amount of memory available to the process running the program. As Acc doesn't really need that much it doesn't matter a whole lot. There are other issues of course, like whether machines continue to support 32 bit which for now they do, but no doubt that lies in the future.

Thx

D

• Like 1

The 'proper' version (i.e. non-MAS) of Accordance is 32-bit.,, I don't know about a 64-bit version.

I'm guessing there is some system junk slowing down your Mac.

I suggest you do all the normal things in such circumstances, e.g. antivirus/malware scans, download Onyx or similar and clean preferences, run routine tasks, etc. Try CleanMyMac from MacPaw, to clean out caches and junk files etc. Look on MacUpdate.com for help in finding free or cheap programs. Check for daemons (invisible programs that run in the background). Look for items in startup folders.

Try an OS system upgrade from the MAS, and at worst do a complete backup and a clean install. Then do incremental reinstalls from your backup, I suggest fresh downloads and installs of programs and copy documents from the backup. Hopefully that won't be necessary though.

Thanks, but I had the Mac for 3 years and then for the Sierra I've done a clean install. Really. All was installed from the ground. And I have only installed what I really need. No Xcode, Apple Server (which was installed before to sync with my iPhone after Apple had quit the sync by cable on Mavericks. Since Apple has restore it I didn't use it anymore.), No Games, No Flash, No Java, No Converter to run a Win .exe for another Bible Software, No LibreOffice, etc. etc. which was all installed before. It is so clean how I need it to work nothing more. Then I had only copy from the backup my Documents. So this can't be the case. The AntiVirus I have switched off to see if this has an influence, but not uninstalled yet.

Thanks

Hey Fabian,

Lots of possibilities here. I'll toss a few not quite random comments in and see if anything helps.

I'm not seeing a slow down over time that is noticeable. I pretty much only do searches in syntax and Greek and Hebrew texts, grammars and lexica. More rarely I search in tools historical like tools. I do not use things like the info pane or commentaries much at all.

What operations are you doing mostly in Accordance ?

4GB is not a lot - I have 12 GB in Mac desktop and 8GB in my windows laptop.

Memory measurement is a tricky thing to get right. There are differing numbers available. To know exactly what they mean requires knowing exactly where you got the number and what it is called in the tool you got it from. So to that end where did you get the 200MB and 1.95GB numbers ?

My exe is 32 bit - i386. There is no inherent relationship between 32 or 64 bit and Unicode support. You can do it either way. The main issue with 64 bit relates to the amount of memory available to the process running the program. As Acc doesn't really need that much it doesn't matter a whole lot. There are other issues of course, like whether machines continue to support 32 bit which for now they do, but no doubt that lies in the future.

Thx

D

Thanks, at the moment I write a Paper so I use a lot of commentaries, and I use often Safari too. But also if I use only 3 Bible I had this problems by scrolling. Not by searching. These are my most used apps. Firefox is also running for Zotero. Maybe I have to go away from Safari and go full to Firefox. Since I've noticed the behaviour from Safari relates to Accordance. 

Unfortunately as I bought my Mac I told to the reseller, I will use it only for a Bible software which is created for the Mac (one of the main reason to switch to a Mac for me) and for Office things. But Rick Mansfield has also worked on a MacBook, but maybe with 8GB RAM. 

The datas was from the Activity Monitor (Sorry I don't know how it is called in English correct). 

Thanks

So it looks, no other has the same experience with Accordance. But has other the same with Safari?

Edited by Fabian

Hey ya,

I don't use Safari but I don't know if that is relevant.

In Activity Monitor there are four numbers for memory. The Real Memory Size and the Virtual Memory Size are the most important ones. Virtual is basically irrelevant as it is not talking about actual memory in use but rather the size of the process. I can explain the difference if you are interested but it is a bit arcane. The Real Memory Size is likely what is called Resident Set Size (or close to it) on other Unix system. This is approximately the amount of memory in use by this process. If this number is growing to 1.95GB over time then that sounds like a problem. I don't know what normal is but in my case Acc is using about 175MB Real Memory Size. I'll monitor it a bit but I am not aware of it changing much. Acc at this point has been up for about 4 days.

Thx

D

The Mac was now in Sleep mode over night. Safari and Accordance was open. 

The RAM used by Accordance is on 241.9 MB so it looks normal. And the scroll with only one Bible was ugly. I have now add to other Bibles with cmd-N and now the scroll is unusable. Interesting the scroll in Safari was also a little bit slow.

I have to restart Accordance to scroll through the Bibles. 

Word was also open, but I have no problem to scroll. This bug belongs only to Accordance and Safari.

I wonder if you have tried a RAM-cleaning program such as "Memory Clean" https://fiplab.com/apps/memory-clean-for-mac.

4 GB of RAM sounds way too low, but Memory Clean (and other similar programs) could help streamline the use of that.

Thanks, I had thought about such a program and searched the net about this. But I've been unsure about the pros and cons. Do you have have some experience? In the meantime I restart the programs so it has the same effects.

My Amiga 500 had a RAM upgrade from 516 KB to 1MB, the XP from 512 MB to 1,5 GB so I thought 4GB would be enough. Also all said Apple didn't use the same RAM power than Win. But how I wrote for over a year in my signature I would buy more RAM next time. 

Edited by Fabian

Honestly for anything serious I would say, until recently, don't buy a machine with less than 8GB but I think 16GB is really where I would start now, though for CAD which I do occasionally more still would be good.

As to firefox I don't know - I see it consuming tons of resource and I have to reboot it from time to time. I know it's basically my usage model - I tend to leave the thing open with a bunch of tabs for a long time, but the sites themselves also cause issues because they are very often dynamic and that leads to consumption of CPU and memory even when apparently idle. Anyhow have been thinking about Chrome but I need to seriously look at it's footprint. Of course, I could also become more disciplined in my use. :)

Thx

D

Edited by דָנִיאֶל
  • Like 1

I don't have the bucks right now, but I hope if I had it, the 3D Xpoint from Intel or a similar technology from a competitor is so fast, we don't need RAM anymore. So all the free space will then be usable for dynamic storage. 

I'd have to be convinced that memory speed was the problem. I suspect it's much more a capacity problem mostly. NVRAM tech definitely has application in flattening the memory hierarchy from a speed perspective but with SSDs and conventional DIMMs you'll get most of the advantages for consumer uses. Farms/clouds etc. it's a different story. After that, this tech is nice certainly but initially anyway it will increase the price a bunch I would expect. After a few years it might be better priced. I mean even now where we get 1TB spinning disks in laptops we don't get 1TB SSDs near so cheaply.

Tx

D

Thanks, I had thought about such a program and searched the net about this. But I've been unsure about the pros and cons. Do you have have some experience? In the meantime I restart the programs so it has the same effects.

My Amiga 500 had a RAM upgrade from 516 KB to 1MB, the XP from 512 MB to 1,5 GB so I thought 4GB would be enough. Also all said Apple didn't use the same RAM power than Win. But how I wrote for over a year in my signature I would buy more RAM next time. 

Works just fine, no cons as far as I can tell. Try it! When you sense the Mac is sluggish you can purge the RAM, no need to reboot. If it helps, great. If not, it is easy to remove.

• Like 1

Works just fine, no cons as far as I can tell. Try it! When you sense the Mac is sluggish you can purge the RAM, no need to reboot. If it helps, great. If not, it is easy to remove.

Thanks.

• 4 months later...

I saw it short yesterday and now I have read about the end of 32bit support in High Sierra for new Apps till January 18 and updates till June 18 and with 10.14 are only 64bit functioning.

64bit with multi-thread support would be great since the iMac Pro will have till 18 cores.

Greetings

Fabian

Edited by Fabian

64bit with multi-thread support would be great since the iMac Pro will have till 18 cores.

Hold that thought...

• Like 1