How does the Preaching-series compare to other application commentaries?

mortenjensen

Hi all,

There is a great price on the Preaching the Word Commentary Series right now, https://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=PTW-36.

My question: How does this series compare - or stand out - to other application focussed commenterias like NIVAC, The Bible Speaks Today, Tyndale etc. 

Does this series offer something unique or is it just one in the bunch of "mid-sized commentaries"?

Morten

Morten,

I have PtW and I rate it very well. However, I'd stop short of calling it a commentary (in the strictest sense).  Its more like a serious of very well prepared sermons.  It's very similar to Martyn Lloyd-Jones series on Romans, (if you're familiar with those).  Still, I must say that I thoroughly enjoy his content and style, esp, if I'm doing an expository series on the same book.  

The NIVAC has a much more academic approach and will spend time dealing with the complexity of the original text before moving on to contemporary application.  I would find it difficult to compare them since they are so different, but greatly value both sets for their own particular contribution. 

I have enclosed his commentary on John's prologue:

John 1:1–18

It is rightly said that each of the Gospels presents Christ with a distinctive emphasis. Matthew emphasizes his kingship, Mark his servanthood, Luke his manhood, and John his Godhood. Certainly all of the Gospels present all four truths, but their separate emphases have allowed them unique functions in telling the story of Christ.
John is unique in his powerful presentation of Jesus as the great Creator-God of the universe. His massive vision of Christ has been used countless times to open the eyes of unbelievers to who Jesus is and the way of redemption.
This Gospel’s continuing effect on Christians is equally profound because in John’s account believers find an ongoing source for expanding their concept of the Savior’s greatness. The serious student of John will find that each time he returns to the Gospel, Christ will be a little bigger—something like Lucy’s experience with the lion Aslan (the Christ symbol in C. S. Lewis’s Chronicles of Narnia) as she again gazed into his large, wise face.
“Welcome, child,” he said.
“Aslan,” said Lucy, “you’re bigger.”
“That is because you are older, little one,” answered he.
“Not because you are?”
“I am not. But every year you grow, you will find me bigger.”
My hope is that as we work our way through the wonders of this book, we will find Christ bigger and bigger and bigger.
The prologue to John’s Gospel (John 1:1–18) is considered to be one of the most sublime sections in all of Scripture. Some believe it was an early Christian “Hymn of the Incarnate Word,” for Christ’s incarnation is its sub [John, p. 16] ject, and it is marvelously poetic. Even more, it introduces us to some of the major ideas of the book: the cosmic Christ who came as light into the world, suffered rejection, but gave “grace upon grace” (John 1:16 RSV) to those who received him. This hymn gives us a sense of the matchless greatness of Christ (John 1:1–3), the greatness of his love (John 1:4–13), and the greatness of his grace (John 1:14–18).
As John begins this introductory song, the force of what he says is so staggering that the words almost seem to bend under the weight they are made to bear. The opening three verses are an amazingly congealed expression of the greatness of Christ.

The Greatness of Christ (vv. 1–3)
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. (John 1:1–3)

Eternally Preexistent
“In the beginning was the Word.” There never was a time when Christ did not exist because the word “was” is in the Greek imperfect tense, which means “was continuing.” In fact, the entire first verse bears this sense. “In the beginning was continuing the Word, and the Word was continuing with God, and the Word was continually God.” Or as one of my friends accurately (though ungrammatically) concluded, “Jesus always was wasing!” That is precisely it. Jesus Christ is preexistent. He always was continuing.
If you are like me, this kind of thinking makes for a super-headache. Our minds look backward until time disappears and thought collapses in exhaustion. Thus we begin our thoughts of the greatness of Christ. (The same thought can be found in 2Cor. 8:9, Phil. 2:6ff., and Col. 1:17.)

Morten thank you for your tread and raising a very good question. Paul thanks for your reply, thus far ... hopefully other forum members will chime in!

I'd also like to raise a similar question since PTW commentary is on an amazing sale right now.

Some may even call it "a steal" ... however it's a $200 "steal"! Some may even label it as "no brainier" ... however that's exactly what I'm looking for - a responsible use of our brains  - a brainstorming! Have I just made an overstatement B) ?

So the question: how many of you Accordance fans (with a special appeal to fellow pastors) out there, actually have used PTW and how greatly have you benefited from it? Would you kindly rate it 1-10 (10 being the best) against other homiletical, non technical and application commentaries? Morten mentioned BST, Tyndale, NIVAC ... in addition Holman, Life Application NT, even Barclay, Phillips and Butler comes to mind.

Thank you in advance!

Edited by Tomi