Problem with search results and concordance

jarod.jacobs

Hi All,

I having an issue with search results and the concordance. As an example, when I search for all direct object markers in DSSB-M ( [PARTICLE object] ) it says there are 1959 hits, but the concordance says 1958.

Further, when I set a range the count is even more problematic. Example, I searched for ‏ ‎[PARTICLE object]‏ ‎[RANGE 1q5]‏ ignoring bracketed words and the search window says there are 12 results and so does the concordance. But it only says 12, it actually lists 16 (if I am reading the list correctly - 1Q5 f1:1–3; f3:1; f4:3; f5:2–f6:1; f8ii:2–3, 5; f9:3; f10:3–4; f12_13i:1–4, 6, 9; f13ii:1, 4–8; f14:1, 3–f15:3; f38:2). The following screen grab might help clarify the problem. Both windows say there are twelve hits, but the concordance (highlighted in blue for 1Q5) lists 16. Several of those listed do not appear to have any direct object markers (e.g. 1 Q5 f3:1)

What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Jarod

post-29952-0-63054400-1475107160_thumb.png

I suggest:

1. Set Concordance Display: limit the Concordance to the range of the search, and it will be much easier to see what it's doing. There are lots of other options there as well.
  2. Understand that the Concordance shows the lemmas found in the search, whether or not each incidence matches the search query.

For example, if you search for Adam Eve (i.e. in the same verse) and run the Concordance, it will show every occurrence of those words whether or not the AND condition applies.

Thanks Helen,

I took a look at the options and didn't see anything that stood out as a possible fix. I did limit the range, but that didn't change anything. I tried other searches and found discrepancies in all of them.

Why would the concordance list references that do no contain the word I have searched for and that is not listed in the main search window?

Stepping back, my goal is to make a list of all the occurrences of specific words. I have tried the "copy as - reference" feature, but it groups hits together so that if one verse has multiple hits, it is only listed once. I need a reference for each hit.

Anyone have thoughts on how to make that happen?

Thanks!

Jarod

I answered my own question regarding the differences between the search results and the concordance. In the search results I have excluded words found in brackets, but the concordance does not exclude them.

However, if I set the search to find only words inside the brackets, the concordance only shows the those hits.

Is there an option to exclude words in brackets from the concordance results? In the options window I see "Ignore words in brackets for excerpts" but that does not remove the references?

Edited by jarod.jacobs

I see one bug that may need a fix, concording the Search Range Only is not working with the Range command, only with the Range pop-up menu.

Your question about exclude words in brackets is probably answered in the dialog, it applies to excerpts and not when you are only displaying references. It is working for me.