Creating Vocab frequency lists alongside total occurrences in OT

Chris Tufnell

Hi,

I would like to be able to make a list of:

- All vocabulary in Ezekiel

- In descending order of frequency

- With alongside each entry the total number of occurrences of that word in the whole OT.

Is that possible?  If so, would really appreciate instructions as to how.

Many thanks!  Chris

Showing total occurrences of a word would be extremely helpful when creating word lists. I wish it were possible. 

However, that said, knowing a word is high frequency gives a great motivation for learning it, but then when you see a 1 next to too many words it can be a great demotivator—Anyone who has ever tried this for the book of Hebrews will know what I mean :D  

Edited by Ιακοβ

To get a list of words in a book with its frequency in that book then you need the following command

* [Range Ezekiel]

Then do an analysis of the result (the little graph symbol and select the 'analysis' option). You can order by frequency. The result is shown below:

post-30494-0-26232000-1474968706_thumb.png

To get the same list with the frequency across the OT then you will need to select all the words in Ezekiel using a range then use the HITS command on a separate pane of the whole OT (If you do shift-cmd-h then it will ask you which pane to get your hits from and it will set up the HITS command for you). You can then do the analysis and order by frequency. Result shown below:

post-30494-0-32622100-1474968728_thumb.png

The issue is that these are separate panes so the order will not match because the frequency will be different in the two panes. You could copy into excel and do some work there to get the ordering the same but it might be a bit fiddley and I'm not sure how to handle the Hebrew. I managed to get a list in Excel that matched up on English gloss - but the frequency figures are not in a separate cell so you would have to do some work to separate them out if you wanted to sort by frequency in excel. There were also some english glosses that appeared in different columns but these were quite easy to move to the same column as the rest with a bit of sorting then select and drag. 

The result was (as you can see the Hebrew did not copy across properly but others may be able to help with that):

post-30494-0-86090900-1474969308_thumb.png

Edited by Steve King
  • Like 2

I've got no problem to display in Excel 16 with Calibri or the Accordance font.

Greetings

Fabian

Thanks Fabian. It is because I did not have the copy as unicode preference set. That solved the problem. Should have realised :wacko:

Edited by Steve King

• 6 months later...

Greetings. I have Accordance for Windows 10.4.5 and I am trying to get a word frequency list in Hebrew for Jeremiah. 

I have used the [RANGE jeremiah] * command, but clicking on the graph symbol leads to a menu in which Frequency, Word Count Totals and Book/Chapter Stats are all greyed out and unavailable. I looked at the screen shots above by Steve King, but cannot seem to achieve the same results. I also searched for "word frequency" in Accordance's online help and could not seem to find an answer. 

Can anybody give me a tip about what I might be missing here? 

You will only get a list of words in the Analysis tab of the Analytics. That list can be sorted several ways in Get Analysis Display.

Thank you for the response, Helen. I have an additional question which I have sent by private message. 

I still have a question for those of you using some form of Accordance 10 for Windows (I have 10.4.5). 

In the Hebrew text, I have already set the command as [RANGE jeremiah] * and have then clicked on the graph-like icon just above the text pane and a little to the right. This leads, however, to a menu in which Frequency, Word Count Totals and Book/Chapter Stats are all greyed out and unavailable. 

What might I be doing wrong? Is there another step that I am missing? Perhaps "Select All" or something?

Aren't they just subheadings for parts of the menu ? Or do you mean the individual items below each of these is also greyed out ?

Thx

D

• 2 weeks later...

Aren't they just subheadings for parts of the menu ? Or do you mean the individual items below each of these is also greyed out ?

That could very well be... I had not thought of that. They are followed by individual items which are indented. 

I still cannot seem to figure out how to get the word frequency list for Jeremiah. Perhaps I need to "Select All" in Jeremiah? If so, I am not sure how to do that. It seems like there has to be some way in Accordance 10.4.5 for Windows. 

In the Graph menu you just select Analysis and you will see the list of words found. Set Analysis display will let you customize the list.

• 2 weeks later...

To summarize, here are the steps necessary for generating word frequency lists for a defined range within the Hebrew text -- the example being the book of Jeremiah (instructions are for Windows 10.4.5): 

1) Open a HMT-W4 tab.

2) In the search line set to "Words". 

3) Click the + sign to the right of the search line. 
4) Make sure "Range" is selected in the first small window.
5) In the second window, select "Define Range". 
6) In the dialog box which opens, select "New"

7) Name the new range, and define it according to books and/or chapters desired.

In this case: "Jeremiah" for the name and "Jeremiah 1-52" for the actual range.

8) Save changes and exit the dialog box.

9) Return to the second window, and select "Jeremiah" as the range.

10) Enter an asterisk * in the search line and hit enter. All text should turn red except for pronominal suffixes, etc.

11) Click on the icon resembling a graph which should appear below the search line.

12) Select "Analysis" in the dialog box which opens up.

13) In the additional pane which opens up, select "Count Down" in the "Sort" menu. A comprehensive word frequency list should appear.

14) Returning to the main pane allows flexibility. For instance, it is possible to select "Search", "Enter Tag", "Noun" and "Common Noun" to get a word frequency list for nouns only in the defined range. 

Edited by jlbajema
  • Like 2