Construct search plus limited text range

jdblount

Hello,

This is probably a simple problem, but I can't seem to figure it out. How do I run a construct search and also limit the range of the text I'm searching? I'm trying to search the book of Ruth for all occurrences of shuv and ​halak in the same verse. I can do a simple search in Ruth with [ran Ruth], or open a construct window to do the more complex search - but for some reason I can't figure out both!

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Josh

Just set the range to Ruth (as in screenshot). 

Screen%20Shot%202016-03-31%20at%203.15.4

Thanks Mark! Didn't realize that was an option - I'd only known to limit the search by typing [RAN ruth] followed by my search...

Josh

• Like 1

There's another reason to use a permanent range instead of the range command. If you use the range command, the Hits Graph shows hits in the context of the entire text:

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-01%20at%2011.36.

If you use a permanent range, the Hits Graph is constrained to the range being searched:

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-01%20at%2011.37.

You can use the range command in this instance as well if you're u don't want to create a permanent range option.

[LINK 'name of linked window'] <AND> [RANGE Ruth]

In this case you need the <AND> when you usually don't. (Not sure precisely why. The error you get without the <AND> command makes sense, but I don't know why it is the case)

For a Hebrew search I would strongly recommend you use the menus or keyboard shortcuts. Cmd-shft-L then cmd-shft-R

Edited by Ken Simpson
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

The screenshots in this topic are not showing up on my screen, even when double-clicked. How can I see them?