Schocken Bible thoughts

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

Is anyone sufficiently familiar with this http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=SBby Everett Fox and with biblical Hebrew to offer any opinion on how well he achieves the goal of rendering Hebrew rhythms and sound into English ? My Hebrew is too weak yet to judge but I thought might be a good translation to work with while learning.

Thx

D

I don't know if I'm quite *sufficiently* familiar, but I did use it when preaching through Genesis in the fall of 2014, with an eye on the Hebrew. I was impressed--it does have a fresh feel to it, and it's easy to recommend. (Not to mention really affordable in Accordance.)

Thanx Abram. I like to have a multiple translations for comparison during translation so good it's a bit different. But in this case I am really interested in the sound when read aloud. I tried a quick comparison with the audio links Darin Franklin sent out the other day, but I'll have to work on that to get further. As you say definitely very affordable in Accordance.

Thx

D

• Like 1

I wouldn't say the "sound" is similar to Hebrew in a literal sense, but it gives a good sense of the "feel" of the Hebrew text: sometimes the English sentences are not smooth as English sentences, but they replicate the syntax of the Hebrew text. I actually use it to check translations in the Pentateuch for this reason!

• Like 1

Ah - good to know - thanx for this.

thx

D