not able to duplicate Dr. Jay's searches from the syntax podcast

Jonna Schmidt

Dr. Jay does a search of the Greek word onion@[noun]

I get the same 34 words in 26 verses. Afterwards, things just keep going downhill for me

a. When I do the Analysis, I only get #4 forms of the word;  

whereas, Dr. Jay gets #8 forms

b. Somehow, I can not get Command-T to "work" so that

I get "Syntax results"

c. Also, when I tried to duplicate Dr. Jay's search of 

αγαπητοσ@[sUBJECT], 

I get the dreaded "no words found" message

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks for any help.

My guess is that either:

1. you haven’t purchased the Greek Syntax add-on

or

2. You aren’t using the module called “NA28 Greek NT” but one of the other Greek new testaments like UBS5 or NA28 Sigla.

Some screenshots would help Jonna... :-)

Edited by Ken Simpson

Just played around a little - maybe this helps. I think Dr J has missed out some steps

If you analyse the results of οινος@[NOUN] and then add INFLECTED and SYNTAX to the “set analysis display” dropdown, then you get exactly what Dr shows.

post-29509-0-79818200-1454820304_thumb.png

and when you accept that - you get something quite familiar...

post-29509-0-30542200-1454820319_thumb.png

Does this help Jonna?

Loved the word “onion” for “οινος” in your OP! Autocorrect is not the Original Language student’s friend!

Thanks for your help. I definitely OWN both the Greek Syntax module and the Hebrew Syntax module. I definitely have the NA28 as my Greek text (NOT some untagged Greek text, and NOT NA28 Greek Sigla). 

I did COMMAND-T, and I have things set just like you said. I am NOT getting results like yours (and Dr. Jay's).

Thanks so much for your time. I am going to need to call Tech support tomorrow. As I recall: when I purchased the Syntax modules, it was an earlier version, and as an "early purchaser": I got a discount. Since then:  I know that I "upgraded", but it sure seems as if something just is NOT handling properly.

Again: thanks so much! At least I can show Tech support what I have tried. Now that I finally have the time to "get serious" about my Greek study, I want to use the Syntax module for which I paid

I went through my purchase history, and I purchased both the Grammatical Syntax add-on to BHS-W4 and Grammatical Syntax add-on to GNT-T on 09-24-2010. As I recall, this was right around the time that Accordance sponsored a "developers conference" in Dallas, TX. Had a great time! For a long time: especially since I became a Sunday School teacher for elementary students about 18-months after purchase: I had wished that (a) I had "passed" on the purchase of the Syntax and (B) spent more time with the audio-visual section.

However... now that I have time to "get serious about Greek study": I am very glad that I attended the Syntax-seminar. 

When I click on my other purchases, I am taken to the "web-store". HOWEVER... with these two purchases, I  get a message: "The item you are seeking is not available". 

As I vaguely recall, I did not even have an Intel MacBook Pro back in 2010. Maybe somehow... with all my upgrades over the years, that module has somehow "dropped out".

Hopefully: Tech support will be able to get things "operational" tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help!!!

SUCCESS!!!  You comments had me check my order history -- and behold! There are some upgrades for the ORIGINAL Syntax modules which require a COMPLETE separate download -- NOT just clicking "Easy Install", and NOT just clicking "Updates". 

There are TWO NEW FREE MODULES (one of which is Grammatical Syntax for GNT28-T), the other of which is for the Hebrew Bible. Once I installed these TWO NEW FREE MODULES: my Greek study is back on track!!

AGAIN: thank you so much!!! Your comments made me re-think the steps of my original purchase so that: NOW I SEE: THERE IS AN UPGRADE -- but it involves TWO NEW MODULES, NOT just clicking the Accordances "Updates" or "Easy Install Link".

THANK YOU!  THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

By the grace of God: I will be ready for tomorrow night's Greek study class with Dr. Mounce!!!

• Like 1

Well, not sure who all the thank you’s were to, but I am happy to take them  ;)

Work hard at it Jonna, it is worth it. Greek is  wonderful language, and reading the Word in Greek is a wonderful privilege and experience.

Keep asking questions  :rolleyes:

• Like 1