Bibleworks-like translation display

Joel Arnold

Doen anyone know would it be possible to adjust the size of the title of the texts seperate from the contents?

And whether it is possible to change the line space?

I think I found a better way that is much more like what BibleWorks offers. I just created a new tab with horizontal panes with most of the translations I desire to compare. Then open another tab with the main translation I use and Tie the Tabs together.

I still think Accordance should do a bible verse browser panel like bible works, however this is better than what I have now. How do you make "horizontal panels"???  I found the button that transforms my 11 panel (parallel bible translation tab) all sideways, but now scrolling up and down is extremely extremely slow on my 12" MacBook. So slow in fact, it is impossible to use. 

PS: That "Research -> All Texts" option is really not a viable option, I am able to comfortably show 11 bible translation panels in a grid on one tab on my small 12" screen. When I do "Research -> All texts" it takes the whole screen and shows 6 translations at once with lots of space in between (and only some of them will be translations I am interested in anyway, so its not possible to see the ones you are interested in side by side using the "Research" menu.)

Edited by Ιακοβ

Wiliam, I agree with Abram ... that is a beautiful workspace. Thanks!

Doen anyone know would it be possible to adjust the size of the title of the texts seperate from the contents?

And whether it is possible to change the line space?

What do you mean the 'title of the texts' separate from the contents?  Which size are you looking to increase?

You can change the line spacing by going to Set Text Display via Cmd-T (Control+T on Windows), the Display menu, or the gear menu in the top right of the pane.

I still think Accordance should do a bible verse browser panel like bible works, however this is better than what I have now. How do you make "horizontal panels"???  I found the button that transforms my 11 panel (parallel bible translation tab) all sideways, but now scrolling up and down is extremely extremely slow on my 12" MacBook. So slow in fact, it is impossible to use. 

PS: That "Research -> All Texts" option is really not a viable option, I am able to comfortably show 11 bible translation panels in a grid on one tab on my small 12" screen. When I do "Research -> All texts" it takes the whole screen and shows 6 translations at once with lots of space in between (and only some of them will be translations I am interested in anyway, so its not possible to see the ones you are interested in side by side using the "Research" menu.)

All of my scrolling is still very fast when the panes are horizontal.  Is this reproducible for you?  Can you attach your workspace or a picture of it?

Research -> All Texts is great for a quick overview of a verse across all translations.  You can easily specify it to a particular User Group if you want just a specific set of translations, and it offers some advantages over having a premade tab.  Of course there are plenty of other advantages to premade tabs or workspaces, so the point is to be flexible to your workflow.

I'm sure he means that headings 

post-32723-0-70826600-1486170893_thumb.png

And no, command-T doesn't work here.

And by me the scrolling is also fast, except I was 2h in Safari. Then Accordance is bogged down. Since ever. Hopefully there is a fix soon.

Edited by Fabian

1. Fabian is right, as his search results show, he only fits 5 bible versions on the screen at one time, so you can only compare 5 translations at one time, which is not that useful. Imagine if the first line was greek, and you want to compare 10 different translations of a verse with the first greek one.

2. When I take my premade workspace, which I have managed to squish 11 translations into (you see about 2-3 verses in each panel), and I use the button to line up all the panels from top to bottom with the menu for each panel on the left—scrolling within (for example) the greek panel, to the next verse, has a lag time of about 2 seconds for the rest of the panels to catch up. Although, I just tried it now, and there wasn't lag time. Perhaps my computer was doing something else to slow it down while I was testing it.

Edited by Ιακοβ

What do you mean the 'title of the texts' separate from the contents?  Which size are you looking to increase?

You can change the line spacing by going to Set Text Display via Cmd-T (Control+T on Windows), the Display menu, or the gear menu in the top right of the pane.

Thanks Joel, I mean the research panel. For example, if I research gen 1:1 in a custom group of five bibles, I would like to adjust the size of the titles of the texts which are displayed in bold fonts into smaller size and I would like to reduce the space between title and text in research panel, I couldn't use "Cmd-T" to call Set Text Display to adjust them. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm using BibleWorks also and make heavy use of the parallel Greek with English versions view. (I even have it set up so that it's a one-click deal to paste it all into Word.) For my students' sakes, however, I'm looking to switch to Accordance. For now, I'm just using the Accordance Lite, so my questions might be solved simply with the Greek and Hebrew Discoverer package I'm considering.

1. @William Cross: I've got the horizontal panels, but where is the "Tie the Tabs" together option?
  2. Once they are tied together and appear as they do in the graphic that @Fabian has, can that be copied / pasted into Word?

Thanks!

I don't think tab ties aren't possible for research.

At least, it's greyed out when I look.

Generally, to tab tie, right click in the tab title, which is where you have options such as renaming or duplicating or separating the tab also.

Logically, it wouldn't really make sense to tab tie research to something that is changing. 

Although this thread has shown maybe there might be need for it (if one has say an original languages pane on one side, and wants to see their top ten translations as they scroll through their original language text).

Whether it's doable or not is a different question - especially as research can well be used to search every single resource, it might not be possible. 

(But I know nothing about development!)

mgvh, I believe you are confusing two different solutions for the 'Bibleworks-like display'. The first solution is the one you see in William Cross's picture.  Here he has a tab on the left, containing Treasury and ESV, tied to a tab on the right, which has many open versions in horizontal view.  To answer your question, these can be tied by right-clicking on the Tab name, clicking the down arrow next to the tab name, or using the Window -> Tabs and Zones menu.  However, this is a large odd arrangement of texts, so it cannot be easily exported to Word.

Fabian's solution is using the Research tab that can easily search and display the results of multiple texts and/or tools at once.  However, since this is a search, it does not work like a simple tie does.  It can easily be selected and exported to Word, though.

So, William Cross's solution is excellent for rapid viewing of the different verse translations as you scroll throughout the text.  If you then want to export a verse, you could quickly open a research of that verse and send that to MS Word.

Thanks, @Joel Brown. That makes sense to me. Since I just have the Lite version now, I don't have that Research option. I appreciate your help.

• 4 months later...

Command-T doesn't work by me.

Greetings

Fabian

Cool feature! How do I move my favorite translations to be the top hits in Accordance.  It'd be nice if my prioritized translations showed first.  At least the top 5 or top 10.

Thanks!

Open library pane, open 'More Texts (Show all Texts)' and rearrange your texts by dragging your favourites to the top.

Edited by Paul Meiklejohn

Thank you! I'm new to Accordance so there's a huge learning curve for me. I'm figuring things out little by little.

Blessings!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Just right-click a verse reference and do Research -> [All Texts].

or just use the new Live Click feature with activated Verse Lookup.

Greetings

Fabian