Text Display Improvements

farcas

Two things I'd like to request in improvements to the text display for modules in Accordance:

1. Indented text when reference is before text so it stands out (just like this number list I'm typing in now)
  2. Parallel panes that scroll together (i.e. references stay lined up)

The first would be nice. The second would be a game changer.

Thanks!

Also columns — at least two if not more. This also would make things more friendly to read at times.

1. Indented text when reference is before text so it stands out (just like this number list I'm typing in now)
  2. Parallel panes that scroll together (i.e. references stay lined up)

Indented text is not a normal display for Bibles, and therefore we have never offered it, though where it is used in poetry we try to reproduce it.

We have always offered parallel panes for texts and they have always scrolled together (to match at the top). Now you can separate the scrolling temporarily, and you can add in parallel any Reference tools, User Notes, Syntax, or Diagrams, as well as all texts of the same corpus.

Columns are a more difficult proposition as the text is not displayed in pages.

Indented text is not a normal display for Bibles, and therefore we have never offered it, though where it is used in poetry we try to reproduce it.

We have always offered parallel panes for texts and they have always scrolled together (to match at the top). Now you can separate the scrolling temporarily, and you can add in parallel any Reference tools, User Notes, Syntax, or Diagrams, as well as all texts of the same corpus.

Columns are a more difficult proposition as the text is not displayed in pages.

Roger on the indented text. Its something that would just keep the text clean from the references. Almost like to columns: one for the text and one for the reference, which would  be smaller of course.

Parallel panes for texts are great. But while they do scroll together, they do not stay locked together by the reference point as if they are if each verse is in the same row. Its only when I get to the top of the next verse in one pane that the other jumps down. It would be nice if they stayed glued together.

Thanks!

Farcas –

Since different English versions do not always have the same word order, keeping panes scrolling together line-by-line, as Helen said, just wouldn't work.  The problem is magnified when one of the panes is an original language text.  I suspect that line-by-line coordination would be near impossible with Greek/English or Hebrew/English.

Farcas –

Since different English versions do not always have the same word order, keeping panes scrolling together line-by-line, as Helen said, just wouldn't work.  The problem is magnified when one of the panes is an original language text.  I suspect that line-by-line coordination would be near impossible with Greek/English or Hebrew/English.

Thanks for the follow up...I'm not thinking line-by-line but verse by verse. So regardless of word order, each verse scrolls in lock step, similar to what you have in spreadsheet.

As Helen said, Accordance already does that, with the verse at the top of the selected pane controlling the others.  That pane does not have to be at the extreme left, either.  I usually have my preferred version in the middle.  If one version tends to always be more wordy than another, you can always widen its pane so that you get the same number of verses across versions.  It works quite well!

• Like 1