searching for 'sigmatic' aorists

Anthony Sepulveda

Hello,

I was trying to make some drill for students step by step regarding the aorist tense. I wanted to start by isolating the so-called 'sigmatic' aorists (we could begin by this before handling strong and root aorists), and I don't know a quick way to tell Accordance to single them out for me from the GNT or LXX. How do I do this?

Thanks.

I happened to stumble upon this tip in the help file:

Hint

The search for aorist verbs in Greek finds both first and second aorist forms. To find first aorist verbs, search for [VERB aorist] @-[VERB 2aorist].

I tried it, and the program returned this error:

post-32492-0-28019000-1449154590_thumb.png

Accordance used to distinguish 1st and 2nd aorist in the tagging. That distinction was removed so the above query will no longer work. All aorists are aorists. There was discussion of it at the time in the forums. See : http://www.accordancebible.com/forums/topic/16313-2nd-aorist-tag-removed-in-1105/?do=findComment&comment=79140

Thx

D

Okay...so I guess it would be the pedagogical methods that would have to change...

I wondered about that also but I am afraid I have no really useful suggestion.

Thx

D

For the sigmatic aorists, try this... I know the list isn't complete, but it seems reasonably good

"*s?(ae)*"@[verb aorist]

Edited by Ken Simpson

Hi Ken,

Thanks a lot for this! It works quite well; this way I could drill students on recognizing this basic form of the aorist.

I made a little tweak so that it can also catch verbs with labial root endings:

"*?(σψ)?(αε)*"@[verb aorist]

Nice addition Anthony! I just threw it together really quickly and didn’t try to think about the outliers, Good work! There is still a place for wildcards!!!  :lol:

Well, just building up with what you started. :) I just remembered to also have to add a ξ to catch the guttural roots.

Good, but you would also need to catch the subjunctive forms, plus imperative forms like λυσον. I suggest:

"*?(σψξ)?(αεοωη)*"@[verb aorist]

Edited by Marco V. Fabbri

Right! Thanks. Now that's completed; off to producing more drills...