ESV with Apocrypha

Dru Brooke-Taylor

I'm sure somebody must have aired this before, but as in the UK the ESV comes with the option of with Apocrypha or without, could the extra books be added to the ESV in Accordance like they are for the NRSV?

Also, since the Septuagint is tagged in Greek, has any consideration been given to tagging the Apocryphal books in any of the English versions that are tagged? Is the problem that there are too many discrepancies between the various English versions as to which verses they omit, relegate to footnotes etc?

Dru Brooke-Taylor, Bristol, England.

• Like 1

I was not aware that there was an ESV Apocrypha available, we will look into it.

As far as tagging the Apocrypha with Greek Strong's numbers, we have looked into it. It is massive project which we have deferred for now. The problem is the large number of words that are not found in the Greek NT and therefore are not included in any Key number scheme. To add all those words, assign them numbers, and create the dictionary, adds significantly to the task of adding fresh numbers to a large completely untagged text.

• Like 1

This is easier said than done. The ESV apocrypha was not done by the the same people who did the Bible but by a group assembled by Oxford University Press (at least that is my understanding). OUP holds the copyright in any case and so a release integrated would be more difficult Faithlife has it released in their edition of Concordia Publishings Lutheran Study Apocrypha. This smaller work took years for FL to release after starting work on it and I have little doubt it's hold up was in no small amount in dealing with OUP on allowing the ESVA to be included ( unusually the ESVA is not even labeled as such but as Lutheran Study Apocrypha Text). My desire for the ESVA in accordance was to make the RSV a combine Text with the ESV. So Apocrypha texts are taken from the RSV when dealing with the ESV text window. I know it is not identical with the ESVA but it was the starting text even as the ESV is a revision of the RSV.

Dan

I believe It should be possible to add new numbers to the G/K system with the agreements of publishers.

If it is not possible to get this title.  Could you try to obtan the apocrypha by itself, then could use it as a combined resource.

• Like 1