Searching Journals and Book Reviews

Aaron Smith

I've noticed quite often when I am doing research for writing papers I get a lot of hits in journals, but so many of them are book reviews. Is there any search function or anything I can do so that these book reviews do not appear? They can be beneficial of course, but most of the time I won't be able to use any of them for a research paper for example. 

• Like 1

I think this would require tagging the book reviews as not being articles. As that has not been requested before, it would be a massive task to go through all the journals to do that. Maybe in a future update?

• Like 3

I understand this may be a big task. I do think it would be nice though if possible. It is not too big of a problem to skip them but it does make it a little easier searching through articles, especially when a large percent of the hits on a search are all book reviews. Thanks.

I was looking for a trick to use that would weed out most of the book reviews, and this search works reasonably well:

Grace <NOT> (.$, .£) 

Since many of the paragraphs containing book review titles also contain the price of the book in dollars or pounds, excluding those symbols using the NOT command and the period symbol tends to eliminate most book reviews.

Interestingly, the price of the book is never in the same field as the title of the book being reviewed, but because a character search using the period symbol simply looks for the character regardless of its field, it works.

There are a couple of gotchas to this trick. First, if you do this search in the Research window, it will slow down the search a bit, because it is having to do a more complex search in every module being searched.

Second, I did run into a crash when it came to Biblical Archaeology Review. I believe it has to do with the way the Titles field in that module is formatted. It is possible there are other modules that might object to this search.

Still, I hope this helps a little.

• Like 2

Thanks a lot David, I was looking for something like this, good thinking!