Psa 121:6 article

Λύχνις Δαν

Hi ya,

I'm wondering if anyone knows what Goettingen says about the article in verse 6 :

“ἐρωτήσατε δὴ τὰ εἰς εἰρήνην τὴν Ιερουσαλημ, καὶ εὐθηνία τοῖς ἀγαπῶσίν σε·”
(Psalms 121:5–6 LXX1)

Rahlf's LXX tags Ιερουσαλημ as dative but the article is accusative. But the Sinaiticus has :

Psa. 122:6  (Sin. 121:6)  και ευθηνια τοιϲ αγαπωϲιν ϲε
 ερωτηϲατε δη τα ειϲ ειρηνην τη ϊηλμʼ ·

Ignore the reversal of the phrases - codexsinaiticus.org notes the other order as due to a corrector, the content is the same except for the article in question which is dative.

Anyone know where Gottingen landed on this one ?

Tx

D

Here's its text (emphasis mine):

ρωτησατε δη τα εις ειρηνην την Ιερουσαλημ,  και ευθηνια τοις αγαπωσιν σε·

With the apparatus reading:

tr. S | την L' A (cf. Helbing Kas. p. 40)] τη S 55, > R | ευθηνια] -αν T

But to your point about tagging--Göttingen has την Ιερουσαλημ tagged as accusative (both article and noun). I think the Rahlfs tagging is in error (unless some arcane Greek parsing rule is eluding me--always possible), so probably safe to report the correction.

Son of a pair of book editors ! The problem was how to render the translation which caused me to look more closely. Brenton renders Jerusalem as a possessive (well probably objective genitive) for example though his diglot retains the την over τη. Not unknown in Brenton to do such things but ...

Thx

D

Edited by Daniel Semler

Son of a pair of book editors ! 

Hi Daniel and Abram, 

That's the kind of stuff I'd like to see in every member's Profile - very interesting, elucidating, and relevant. 

Regards,

Michel

• Like 1